Shipping tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicola.g

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus
This is on behalf of a friend of ours who he thinks and I also think may be about to be scammed... Can you ship tortoises between different countries? Our friend is after getting 4 leopard tortoises to add to his stock of tortoises but in the classified ad he saw them in, the sellers ad said they were in Cyprus so he would have just gone to pick them up himself. However in the emails he has received from the seller it turns out that she has moved to Greece. The seller said she does not want any money for the tortoises just to pay the delivery company 150 euros for the transportation but as far as we were aware you can't actually ship countries between different countries. He has been told that the delivery company will be emailing him to confirm his address and take payment today and he will check the company out when they do this but before they contact him I told him that I would try and find out some information from here as he doesn't use this site.

nicola.g

5 Year Member
Cyprus
nicola.g said:
This is on behalf of a friend of ours who he thinks and I also think may be about to be scammed... Can you ship tortoises between different countries? Our friend is after getting 4 leopard tortoises to add to his stock of tortoises but in the classified ad he saw them in, the sellers ad said they were in Cyprus so he would have just gone to pick them up himself. However in the emails he has received from the seller it turns out that she has moved to Greece. The seller said she does not want any money for the tortoises just to pay the delivery company 150 euros for the transportation but as far as we were aware you can't actually ship countries between different countries. He has been told that the delivery company will be emailing him to confirm his address and take payment today and he will check the company out when they do this but before they contact him I told him that I would try and find out some information from here as he doesn't use this site.
Where it says "we were aware you can't actually ship countries between different countries" it should have said ship tortoises between different countries :D very early in the morning and I hadn't had caffeine by then :D

nicola.g

5 Year Member
Cyprus
Laura said:
DO NOT send money... sounds like a scam to me...

Well he has emailed her to ask her to advise him who the shipping company is so that he can check that out and confirm they are one and the same when the shipping company contacts him to take the payment. All he has provided to the seller is his address for the delivery and nothing else. No other personal or banking details have been requested by the seller so all he can really do I think is proceed with extreme caution. It's a shame if it is a scam because I know both him and his family are really excited about the possible new additions :(

Status
Not open for further replies.