Shipping Tortoises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
This is for anyone with shipping experience.

What carrier do you prefer? Fed Ex? UPS? DHL?

Have you had any problems with any of them while shipping your tortoises?

Or problems receiving them?

DixieParadise

5 Year Member
Georgetown, TX
I have only received through FedEx. They are pretty prompt. If they say by 10...it is usually here at 10. I have gotten two deliveries from Florida to Texas with no issues in the past 3 months.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
DixieParadise said:
I have only received through FedEx. They are pretty prompt. If they say by 10...it is usually here at 10. I have gotten two deliveries from Florida to Texas with no issues in the past 3 months.

ahhh i see. Thanks!

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
How large of an animal are you talking about? Any differences when considering hatchling vs yearling vs larger torts?

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Robert said:
How large of an animal are you talking about? Any differences when considering hatchling vs yearling vs larger torts?

Mainly hatchlings or small meds

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I thought DHL was out of business

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
DHL only takes over seas shipments now.

HipsterTorts

5 Year Member
Southern California
Everything put UPS.
First off the guy kept holding the box upside down and side ways even though it clearly had the arrows pointing to the top and in writing distinguished which was the top of the box and which was the bottom.
Secondly, I live in a gated community that has a main office. Even though the package had the sticker on it that said "Must be Signed For" the driver decided he didn't want to take the five minutes to deliver it to my house and took it to the main office where it could have been left for days. The workers in the main office don't notify you when you have a package. Luckily, I live near the main office and saw him walking in to drop off the package so I ran over and signed for it before he left.
Altogether it was a horrible experience.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I have had equally good sucess with both UPS and FedEx. At least from my location, UPS is usually a bit more expensive at time depending upon the zip code I'm sending to. I ship from my work location where UPS is on a regular pick up/delivery schedule whereas FedEx may show up anytime within an 8 hour period.
DHL doesn't exist here anymore.

drgnfly2265

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
FLORIDA
I have had bad experience with UPS a couple of times. I order live feeders for my beardies and in the summer it's too hot for Reptiworms (maggots) to be left outside. The people that I order them from wrote on the package "leave at post office", but they didn't. Luckily I got off work early that day, because I got a knock on the door, looked down and seen my package, and watch the guy drive down my street! Got the package inside and the worms were already hot from just the ride in the mail truck all day. I was not a happy camper......

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
I have heard of mightmares and also alot of possitives with shipping over the years. We have never shipped a hatchling and just do not want to take the risk. We just had a two year old aldabra, 6.4 pounds, shipped UPS and all went well. This industry depends on shipping, I do understand.

Fernando, why not initiate a poll regarding this topic!

Status
Not open for further replies.