Shipping tortoises

ShellyTheTortoise71

Hey everyone. I've been posting about wanting another tortoise recently and I've decided to purchase a baby red foot from tortoise supply. However, they only ship. I wanted to know what to do when she/he comes in the mail. I've heard you should soak them? I don't want to stress it out or anything when it comes home. Any help would be appreciated.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Suburban-life in Salem, Oregon
You're on the right track.
1) enclosure all setup and ready as if the tortoise were already living in it.
2) upon arrival, make sure his/hers temp is good. Pay the little extra for before 10:30 am signature required delivery. Well worth the peace of mind. Keep in mind you'll be taking it from a dark, secure enclosure, (shipping container) to the bright world of reality. Maybe take him out in a darker than normal room so as not to stress him. Also, although hard, you might want to refrain from looking at him real close up front. For him, eyeballs are inches away from a mouth!
3) soak the little bugger in water not as deep as you normally would but still at the proper temps. Again refrain from bey the looming giant predator looking in on it. Give it time to settle.
4) put in the enclosure in a darkened part of the habitat and try to keep things quite in that room. Gaze from afar for the day or two to make sure all looks good and things should settle in swell.
5) all of this may be unnecessary by other folks standards, and rereading it, it almost seems a little extreme to me but I think none of it would hurt, and the worse that could happen is a smoother transition into your family.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
League City, TX
Shipping isn't anything to worry about. I've successfully shipped dozens of little guys with no problems. Take him out when he arrives, give him a short soak, drink and some food probably. Then he is good to go in his new home! Enjoy and take pictures.

ShellyTheTortoise71

Shipping isn't anything to worry about. I've successfully shipped dozens of little guys with no problems. Take him out when he arrives, give him a short soak, drink and some food probably. Then he is good to go in his new home! Enjoy and take pictures.

Ok thanks :)

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Better yet, keep the tort off the truck and in the box the shortest time possible by having him shipped to your FedEx station for pick up only. That way they avoid sitting on the truck those extra hours.