1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Shipping Cost Reduction

Discussion in 'Sponsor Subforum' started by TylerStewart, Mar 4, 2014.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. TylerStewart

TylerStewart Well-Known Member 10 Year Member!

Location (City and/or State):
    Las Vegas, NV.
    We recently added FedEx SmartPost to our www.TortoiseSupply.com site for non-live shipments. This is where we ship out with FedEx, but the USPS takes over halfway through the process and handles the actual delivery to you. This process cuts about $3 out of every shipment, and unfortunately, adds a day or two to the process. We take a lot of heat for our small shipments being $9-12 (minimum cost for FedEx to handle it), so this should help lean things out on cost for small supply orders without too much pain in the additional time. A few test runs last night put small 1 pound shipments in the $6-8 range instead of $9-12. Let us know if any problems or questions at [email protected]!

Normal live tortoise orders will remain FedEx Priority Overnight for $34.95 flat rate.

[​IMG]
  2. wellington

wellington Well-Known Member Moderator 5 Year Member Tortoise Club

Chicago, Illinois, USA
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Thank you Tyler for the heads up and for doing what you can to help cut cost.
  3. Jacqui

Jacqui Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises Moderator 10 Year Member!

A Land Far Away...
    Question, can a person request NOT to go this cheaper way, but the faster and less problem way for a few more bucks??
  4. TylerStewart

TylerStewart Well-Known Member 10 Year Member!

Las Vegas, NV.
    Yeah, I can do that, and if it was shipping to a commercial address, I will send it FedEx Ground anyways. All SmartPost does really is eliminate the $3 residential fee for FedEx Ground. FedEx Ground Home Delivery (which is residential) is about $3 more than FedEx Ground, so SmartPost gives basically the business rate to a residential address. If I know something is shipping to a business, I will ship it FedEx Ground at the SmartPost price (they are basically the same, but Ground would be a little faster). I don't really want to add a Ground Home Delivery option on top of SmartPost on the site, too many people are already confused by our 3 shipping options.

There's few things I like less than the USPS, but normal FedEx Ground Home Delivery is admittedly expensive on small 1-2 pound shipments. The biggest complaint we get is that small supply orders are too expensive to ship.
  5. bouaboua

bouaboua Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

San Jose CA
    Good to know! Thank you for providing this option for our next order.