Shipping and transport

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
People, for the love of the animals stop doing stupid transport and shipping shortcuts.

I will not name names.

If you will put multiple animals in one box DO NOT individually put them in cloth bags with newspaper and consider it a done deal. That's lame, stupid and cruel, and results in DEATH. It's like putting bagged rocks and newspaper and thinking they will be 'cushioned' from each other. They are not cushioned from each other at all.

Use smaller boxes in the bigger box and packing peanuts that absorb shock. I use water and soda bottles the size of the animal, so they can right themselves no matter what position the box end up in. They need to be in individual containers inside the larger shipping box.

This has happened two times now. A group of three Kinixys spekii adults in bags loose in a box with newspaper, no insulation and not heat pack. They all died with a week on transit. Bruising on the shells was evident. they had good weight, they all pooped a good one in their first soak. Never ate and lay with limbs and neck outstretched 'till death. My estimation is 100% shipping shock.

Now today a two tortoise arrival, one DOA (male Pyxis planicauda) and a female that looks pretty messed up.
WTF? They were loose in a box in individual bags. The newspaper was all matted and wet on the bottom. The bags were so tight on them they would not have been able to right themselves if they had been upside down.

These two incidence did not follow the simplest IATA standards. The shippers essentially stacked animals in a box.

The $$ part is annoying. The part that really pisses me off is that I wanted those animals to create reproductive groups. Dumb stupid cheap shipping people.

I would punch you in the face even if you are bigger than me on these accounts. One good shot would be good enough.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Very sad and very stupid indeed. I have never shipped an animal, but common sense would tell me that's not the way. Unfortunately there is a lack of common sense in this world.
The charges for shipping is always on the buyer. So, a lesson here is to request/require the animals be packed and shipped per buyer requirements.