Shipping a tortoise

Cheryl Hills

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Youngstown, Ohio
Ok folks, how do you package a tortoise for shipping? I am possibly getting a tortoise shipped but don't know how to do this. I do know it will have to be Fed X 2nd day but don't know how to have it packaged. I want to make sure we know exactly what to do so the tort is ok.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
The best is use a Styrofoam box inside a cardboard shipping box. I have made my own buying a sheet of 1/2" Styrofoam and cut it to fit all sides of the cardboard box I am using. I like about 1 1/2 - 2x the size of the tortoise. I soak the tortoise right before to minimize any poop in transit. I put the tortoise in a cloth bag and mostly fill the box with straw or shredded newspaper. I go dry since I don't want the possibility of cool and damp. I put one of those 24 hour hand warmers in the opposite side of the box from the tortoise to offset any night chill in shipping. I always do overnight priority so its guaranteed by 10:30 next day. Since I drop off afternoon, it is only in the box 18-20 hours. If the receiving party wants to you can also ship pick up at fed ex location, and they can usually pick the tortoise up by 8:30 or 9 at the fed ex location closest to them. I write on all sides of the box LIVE HARMLES TORTOISE.

This is also the way one of the largest breeders of endangered tortoises ships their tortoises around the world to various preserves and zoos.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would not do 2 day. Next day is the only way an animal should be shipped.
I have never had to ship one, just received. I like it though when the animal is in a plastic container with shredded paper in with it and then placed either in the sack then box or just the plastic container in the box. It just seems a little safer having a harder substance around it.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
all the shipping consolidators have a 'recipe' for what to do Shipyourreptiles, reptilesexpress and supiorshippingsupplies. If you don't want to source the required materials they all sell 'kits' for shipping. You always want to use overnight services or same day.

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Buying a kit as already mentioned is the best way to go. Most of the kits now come with 3/4 inch Styrofoam and use 40 hour heat packs which are much better than the hand warmers.
This may be helpful:
http://www.shipyourreptiles.com/en/get-help/get-help-shipping-standards
I have seen some videos online as well which are good for the visual learners.

You can pack the tortoise perfectly, but still experience problems because of the weather. Know your temperatures, the receiving end temperatures, the delivery time. Also, check for bad weather along the route as well as the temperatures of the main hub which your tortoise will pass through.

KaijuEmily

Oregon Coast
I recently recieved my baby perfectly safe and sound (shipped from the east coast to the west coast US) But several other people had to simultaneously expirience having their hatchlings held up during shipment (!!!) due to bad storms !
But she was shipped sarounded in New Zealand Sphagnum moss, in a plastic container, with a hand warmer i think. Box had labels all over the outsides. Very nice.

Robyn@TRR

5 Year Member
We have a couple of How-To photo galleries on the ShipYourReptiles Facebook page, I will link them below. BUT FIRST, a couple of important notes-

Live reptiles should only be shipped Overnight. It is against SYR, FedEx and UPS terms of service to use anything other than Priority Overnight service. It is also a danger to the animal itself to go slower. I would never use US Postal for a live reptile shipment because they are the least reliable, poorest handling, and have very poor tracking of the package.

The next very important note is on using heat packs during cold weather. Hand warmers were mentioned above and should NEVER be used. Hand warmers get much hotter than a shipping heat pack, and don't last more than a few hours. Most winter/cold weather shipping DOAs are due to misuse of shipping heat packs, either too many of them (more than one) or using hand warmers instead. Hand warmers are a real danger to your animals. TOS requires heat packs of 40 hour duration or greater. These can be very hard to find locally, so best to order a small supply and have them on hand for future shipping needs, or power outages, or other various emergency heating needs. Have them on hand before you need them!

The ShipYourReptiles Get Help section is full of info and detail on proper shipping, including packaging and temperature guidelines.

You can also check out those photo album How To's on our FB page, here is one from Tortoise Supply-

Our customer service staff is also happy to help with questions, they are available Monday through Friday, 7am to 6pm MST, at [email protected] and 303-730-2125.

Doing your first shipment might seem daunting, but it is actually a pretty simple and straight forward process. Let us know if you have any questions!

-Robyn@ShipYourReptiles