Shipping - a little worried!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueBaron

Location (City and/or State)
Canada
Hey guys, I am getting a hermann's hatchling mid may but I am a bit concerned about how long shipping will take. The flight alone is 10 hours so the little tortoise will be boxed up for 11-14 hours. What are your thoughts and experiences? There are some available closer however the seller would not disclose their source so I will not be purchasing from them. The breeder I am getting mine from has been really good and has sent me quite a few update photos; the tortoise is healthy, already just over 20 grams and really light compared to any of the hatchlings in the last couple of clutches, the travel time is the only thing concerning me.

kaitiejane

My tortoise hatchling shipped from Arizona to south Texas and he arrived just fine! Just make sure you soak them right after you take them out of the box and then put them in their enclosure with food! This was mine right when I took him or her out of the box. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1428322903.752929.jpg

Robyn@TRR

5 Year Member
You shouldn't have any fear of proper Overnight shipping.

The entire industry and hobby is driven by the ability to ship reptiles safely and responsibly around the country, and the world, every day.

Overnight shipping in proper packaging, and following proper temperature guidelines, is safe and reliable. We have a tortoise specific shipping guide with photos and details available here.

If I am looking for a new reptile, I want the best possible specimen, the best possible animal I can get. I wouldn't want to be limited to "what might be available locally, at this particular moment". With reliable and affordable overnight shipping, you have easy access to the best breeders across the country. The choices are very strong, lots of great tortoises to be found.

Work with a reputable breeder or dealer. Buy from someone with a strong reputation that stands behind their animals and guarantees your satisfaction. Give yourself the best chance of success in finding a terrific new tortoise.

If you are the one doing the shipping, check out the ShipYourReptiles Get Help and FAQ section here for more packaging and temperature related details!

stojanovski92113

Tortoise Club
I've had baby tortoises shipped to me twice from CA to MI without issues. Both times they were shipped I had 2 babies in a box. Obviously overnight shipping. I was extremely nervous the first time. But it was a safe process.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Seeing that most of the members don't see that serious an issue in shipping, I'd suggest that you go ahead, and good luck :)

And, welcome to :tort: the forum.

Carol S

10 Year Member!
Alta Loma, CA
I ship baby Russian tortoises all over the United States. I ship overnight with Fed-Ex. They have all arrived safely.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Well I'm not worried about shipping , Its you money . But you seam to respect our exp. and if it was my time and money I would get my tort through the TFO . And if you like your " Breeder " I'd ask them why they aren't on the TFO ? But good luck !

BlueBaron

Canada
Thank you guys, I feel much better :) It's pretty slim pickings here in Canada, especially on the west coast, hence why my tort will be coming from the east coast! The breeder I am going through, Slow n Steady Tortoises, directed me here to learn all I can before my tortoise arrives.

BlueBaron

Canada
I was sent this update photo a couple days ago and thought I would share...
tort.PNG

Amy Saxton

I was a tad worried they were late n i was waiting outside long enough to be eating to see misquitos to only go back inside but door was open watching a movie that I to watch over n over again because no one likes an earthquake. Not even me because I'm really skittish I really don't stand a chance either because I'm actually really deaf n would like the chance but I don't know if there are any deaf customers out there and if not can they work around my schedule of any delay? If not I'd stop myself and evaluate my chances

Status
Not open for further replies.