She's eating all her bedding HELP! Please

Northants88

Is that the only bulb you are using day and night?

Flowers and weeds is good, but can you elaborate a bit more? Sometimes when the diet is lacking certain minerals or nutrients, it causes them to want to eat their substrate. Knowing specifically what all you are offering might confirm or deny this as a possibility.

Have you been offering calcium supplementation? Or a vitamin supplement? Is the cuttlebone the only additional calcium source?

How often are you soaking?
Every day she loves being in water!! As ive said before she has cuttle bone calcium powder and a vit supplement flower and weeds are same stuff she's been eating since she has been born yes that's the only bulb I use because it's a all in one job that I spent hours reading about the only thing that's changed for her in the last 2 weeks is she isn't living with 12 other torts

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
Am I understanding correctly that you've only had this tortoise for two weeks? You've had time for four different substrates in two weeks?

Part of this may just be an adjustment issue - tortoises take awhile to become comfortable in their new territory. They also explore the world through their mouths (when my tortoise was new, he spent the first week biting and sampling everything). I think you need to choose a safe substrate (safe if eaten), like the coir or fir bark, and let your tortoise get to know his new space. Unless he is gulping it down, a bite here or there is pretty natural while a tortoise is figuring out what their new territory is like.

Northants88

Am I understanding correctly that you've only had this tortoise for two weeks? You've had time for four different substrates in two weeks?

Part of this may just be an adjustment issue - tortoises take awhile to become comfortable in their new territory. They also explore the world through their mouths (when my tortoise was new, he spent the first week biting and sampling everything). I think you need to choose a safe substrate (safe if eaten), like the coir or fir bark, and let your tortoise get to know his new space. Unless he is gulping it down, a bite here or there is pretty natural while a tortoise is figuring out what their new territory is like.
0ab7ce5f394c4ceca847cf5e82e4bfda.jpg

What about this????

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Every day she loves being in water!! As ive said before she has cuttle bone calcium powder and a vit supplement flower and weeds are same stuff she's been eating since she has been born yes that's the only bulb I use because it's a all in one job that I spent hours reading about the only thing that's changed for her in the last 2 weeks is she isn't living with 12 other torts

I din't ask if she loves being in water. I asked if you are soaking her. Do you put her in a separate tub with warm water and soak her?

For the third time: Which weeds and flowers are you feeding and in what quantities or percentages?

How often and how much are you applying the calcium and the vitamin supplements?

I'm asking theses questions because the answers may help us to discover why your tortoise is sampling its substrate and help you find a solution to this problem. Not trying to be a pain in the rear.

Northants88

I'm soaking her every day like I said every day Dandelions, chicory, plantain,Purslane, clover, alfalfa,
Mulberry,rose, hibiscus, and pansy leaves and flowers and nettles but I live in the UK so probably not the same as the US i put calcium and d3 on her food every time I change it which is every day and I mix up the food yes in warm water and in a separate tub because flooding a tortoise table isn't a good idea!!