She's a he? Possible prolapse

Blakem

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
California
I was told under a year ago that Dex was a she. I'm thinking she's a he, based on seeing the penis today. But, the tail is quite short and its quite spread at the bottom of the shell. @Tom here's the post you asked for.

1423866457503.jpg 1423866469706.jpg 1423866480233.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I know that anatomy changes with age. It definitely seems to be the case right now.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I know that anatomy changes with age. It definitely seems to be the case right now. She will be three next month.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sometimes I heard a few years ago on here, that a female can flash too. Hmm, now what do you have:D. Have you looked up what a male flashing looks like?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Wow. That's a new one. What exactly can a female flash? I must not understand tortoise anatomy.:eek:
I don't know exactly, @Yvonne G has said it in the past. I have never seen it. Can't remember if she has, and seems someone else said they have, but don't remember who that was either. It was a couple years ago they had said this.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Yes, I've seen the male penis before. I couldn't find anything on the female genitalia.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That really looks female. Sometimes when straining, part of the inside of the cloaca comes out. Or it could have even been part of the rectum. But there's certainly no mistaking a tortoise's penis. It's magnificent to behold!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
That is an awfully short tail for a male and the anal scutes really look like they are drifting toward the U-shap of a female.

How often are you soaking lately? Feeding much dry hay or other dry stuff?

Often they will flash during a soak or during the rinse after a soak. See if you can get a pic of the organ. How far out did it stick? Did it have what appeared to be a mushroom shaped cone at the end? With a little finger like tip? Or was it just fleshy with no defined shape?

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I soak 2-3 times a week and she always has a water bowl available. I have also started feeling up her mud holesince it's getting warmer. It what about an inch and a half long, kind of light grey with a pink color. It kind of look like a mushroom head, but more like a flower it out finger at the end of it. I've been feeding her quite a bit of a variety of weeds, cactus once a week, and Missouri a few times a week. She hasn't gotten used to the hay yet it seems.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
So, I got a video of it coming out. Definitely looks male. He/she got some grass on it and I sprayed it off and it went back in. Once I picked her up it was about 6 inches long.

1424107411648.jpg 1424107423111.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I think it's realizing that it has control over the genitalia and is starting to take it in and out. Dex was kind of moving his bottom back and fourth on the grass with it out.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
I Figured so. I've just never seen a young one before! The videos I've seen are all adults!