Sherman VS birds

B.R - Sherman

Location (City and/or State)
Pinner
Hi there

I’ve posted once before about the health of my 1yr old Hermann tortoise, Sherman. He remains healthy to this day, however since it is currently nice and sunny where I live, I was wondering if it was safe to take him outside, for fear he’d be picked up by a bird or something. Is this a grounded fear or just rubbish?

B.R - Sherman

Pinner
Hi there

I’ve posted once before about the health of my 1yr old Hermann tortoise, Sherman. He remains healthy to this day, however since it is currently nice and sunny where I live, I was wondering if it was safe to take him outside, for fear he’d be picked up by a bird or something. Is this a grounded fear or just rubbish?
I should mention, I’m sitting with him at all times, either watching him or reading a book

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Yes you can take him outside for some sunshine. However, you do need to build a secure safe enclosure, not watch him or read a book as he will disappear. It happens all the time. People swear they wont lose their tortoise and then guess what happens.
2x4 or 2x6 will make a nice small enclosure while he is still little. Can easily be enlarged and put chicken wire or hardware cloth over the top to keep birds out.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ditto. Very well said by Barb.

I put wire over the top of all outdoor sunning enclosures for any tortoise smaller than about 4". I cut a piece of 1x2" welded wire just a little larger than the rim of the enclosure and simply place it on top after I put the tortoises and food in there. This won't stop a mammalian predator, but it will stop a bird.

Here is another idea that is simple to construct. If you don't have a suitable grassy area, you could build this same style of pen with a plywood bottom, and put it on legs with wheels so you could move it around.
IMG_2517.JPG