Sherlock Holmes Game of Shadows and others

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
I just saw Sherlock Holmes The Game of Shadows and I just wanted to say it is the best movie I have seen in a very, very long time. It's not your average movie where you go and its just the same old same old chick-flick or action film or horror movie. Its unique, engaging, and pure entertaining! Not to mention so funny in some parts. Much funnier than any trashy comedy that's come out in a long time. This movie was just awesome.
2011 was a crappy year for movies. I seriously can't think of one engaging movie I saw this year other than Sherlock Holmes.
I tried to watch that boxing movie The Warrior the other day after a recommendation saying it was awesome and touching (two hours and thirty minutes people) and I hated it. It made no sense to me at the end
SPOILER ALERT

when they brothers just magically become friends after beating the tar out of one another... plus they never even resolved this issue with their dad which seem to me to be the main thing.. I don't think I will be listening to that persons movie recommendations anymore haha
Thats why I refuse to watch the Change Up..I have a feeling I would hate it. Only good chick-flick I have seen in a while is Crazy Stupid Love

Sammy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
I only watched the 1st Sherlock Holmes, really liked Robert Downey jr. So I rented Iron man 1 & 2 :p

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
Sammy said:
I only watched the 1st Sherlock Holmes, really liked Robert Downey jr. So I rented Iron man 1 & 2 :p

Did u like the iron mans? I don't think I ever saw them except for two and I thought It was okay

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Found it! Yes great movie, possibly underused it's amazing female cast...I mean rapace is and epic actress and her character seemed a little useless. But the John shellack brimance is EPIC and Downey Jr can really carry the weight of any movie he's one of my favorite actors I would reccomend the first iron man and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (in my top ten films). I like my humor subtle and dry most of the time and Downey always does that perfectly.

Also have you seen the BBC Sherlock? I lived in Scotland for awhile and I'm a huge BBC nerd and a Sherlock Holmes (originals) nerd so it's perfect...it think it's on Netflix instant, it's a modern day interpretation and very very well done, it's just called Sherlock.

Wow auto correct...John Sherlock bromance is what I was going for

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
ShadowRancher said:
Found it! Yes great movie, possibly underused it's amazing female cast...I mean rapace is and epic actress and her character seemed a little useless. But the John shellack brimance is EPIC and Downey Jr can really carry the weight of any movie he's one of my favorite actors I would reccomend the first iron man and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang (in my top ten films). I like my humor subtle and dry most of the time and Downey always does that perfectly.

Also have you seen the BBC Sherlock? I lived in Scotland for awhile and I'm a huge BBC nerd and a Sherlock Holmes (originals) nerd so it's perfect...it think it's on Netflix instant, it's a modern day interpretation and very very well done, it's just called Sherlock.

Wow auto correct...John Sherlock bromance is what I was going for

Did Sherlock's lover friend that was working with the professor die? I can't decide whether she was just really sick still and that will be addressed in the next movie or if she actually died... I really didn't want her to die. But then again I though sherlock died and I was gonna be so mad if he did !!! like so mad lol
I have never even heard of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang or the BBC Sherlock
I'm very jealous that you lived in Scotland though. What did you live there for? What was it like ? It's in my top places to visit along with Ireland

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
I think Irene actually died...see wasted female character :) I at least knew Sherlock didn't die bc the waterfall scene is book canon (except he didn't tell john he was alive for like fifteen years...well after Mary had died in childbirth).
And go watch them both...but especially Sherlock, if you don't have Netflix look for it on sidereel.com, their links are usually good. You will love it.

I loved scotland. I would do just about anything to move back (except leave my tort) idk I would make a pretty good sheep farmers wife :) I was only there for a year studying abroad but it seriously had everything I would ever ask for in life; good beer, great whiskey and better hiking. I lived in Dundee, which is lovingly referred to as the armpit of scotland and was still one of my favorite places I've ever been (and certainly lived). My flatmates and I all joined the school rucksack club and alternated hiking with them and traveling the rest of Europe on weekends....it was magical.

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
ShadowRancher said:
I think Irene actually died...see wasted female character :) I at least knew Sherlock didn't die bc the waterfall scene is book canon (except he didn't tell john he was alive for like fifteen years...well after Mary had died in childbirth).
And go watch them both...but especially Sherlock, if you don't have Netflix look for it on sidereel.com, their links are usually good. You will love it.

I loved scotland. I would do just about anything to move back (except leave my tort) idk I would make a pretty good sheep farmers wife :) I was only there for a year studying abroad but it seriously had everything I would ever ask for in life; good beer, great whiskey and better hiking. I lived in Dundee, which is lovingly referred to as the armpit of scotland and was still one of my favorite places I've ever been (and certainly lived). My flatmates and I all joined the school rucksack club and alternated hiking with them and traveling the rest of Europe on weekends....it was magical.

Is the weather too bad for your tortoise ?? Too cold?
That does sound amazing. They have all the same jobs and everything as in the US? I always thought it would be hard to live in a different Country because every thing is different I assume. The government, the jobs, the education, things they have available and such ...I think I am just really naive though
I don't think I could ever be that far from my family either
I am definitely going to visit there one day before I have children and such cause thats probably the only time I will have the money.

ShadowRancher

10 Year Member!
Columbia, SC
Many things are very different in the UK but it's my observation that the difference is more in way of thinking than in how the country actually runs...the study abroad office did say that ppl usually have a harder time adjusting to the uk than foreign speaking counties bc they sort of expect it to be the same as the states and then it is very different. I didn't really have that problem, but then moving to sc at 16 after growing up in MI has pretty much cured me of culture shock for life ;)

And as for Levi I would assume customs might be difficult with a Sulcata in tow....but I've never looked into the regulations

Biggest con against the uk...impossible to find decent peanut-butter, I love Nutella but you can only live in it for so long b4 you need peanut butter toast for breakfast

BrinnANDTorts

5 Year Member
ShadowRancher said:
Many things are very different in the UK but it's my observation that the difference is more in way of thinking than in how the country actually runs...the study abroad office did say that ppl usually have a harder time adjusting to the uk than foreign speaking counties bc they sort of expect it to be the same as the states and then it is very different. I didn't really have that problem, but then moving to sc at 16 after growing up in MI has pretty much cured me of culture shock for life ;)

And as for Levi I would assume customs might be difficult with a Sulcata in tow....but I've never looked into the regulations

Biggest con against the uk...impossible to find decent peanut-butter, I love Nutella but you can only live in it for so long b4 you need peanut butter toast for breakfast

Ha the peanut butter thing is so funny! I do really love peanut butter, I can eat it by the spoon full. I can't eat Nutella though...I have no idea why I just find it not very tasty.

fhintz

5 Year Member
Fort Myers, FL
I just saw this yesterday. I enjoyed it. I do think the first one was better. A lot of the unique angle on the stories was established in that one and this was more of the same.

I think you're supposed to leave thinking Irene is dead, but it's also ambiguous enough that if they wanted to do a third with her they could get away with it. I would have liked to have seen more of her in this movie. In the same vein, I actually think they should have ended this one with Sherlock seemingly dead. I guess I'm somewhat fatalistic like that, but I think having him clearly alive just screams sequel.

My other criticism is that much of the plot came out with Sherlock spelling it out. I kind of like seeing more of it and being able to figure more out on my own.

I also didn't like that the theater was kind of crowded./

Overall, a solid movie going experience. I definitely agree about how its funny in a different. I would say more witty and tongue in cheek than straight funny.

Status
Not open for further replies.