shell rubs

franklin444

Location (City and/or State)
U.S.A
I just gave my Russian tortoise a little gentle rub/light scratch on his shell and he started to walk forward. Do you think he was trying to run away from the rubs or did he like them. I know dogs like to be pet but do tortoises?

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
When you reach toward your tortoise, remember that he can't see behind himself. If your hand comes from his back, he doesn't see it and you may have startled him.

Try letting him see your hand, and smell it, then touch him.

I think they are just like our dogs are. Sometimes they want to interact, and other times they want to be left alone.

L

LasTortugasNinja

Well, if you put yourself into the mind of a tortoise, and their native environments, usually the only time something starts touching their backside without their permission is something that is trying to size them up for lunch. Male torts trying to seduce the lovely lady torts let their intentions be known prior.

so like Karen said, you probably spooked him a little. My tort knows it’s me, and he still doesn’t like petting or touching, other than when he wants to go to/from his outdoor enclosure or a VERY occasional neck petting. They aren’t touchy-feely pets. They seem to prefer the “step back and watch me GO!“ method of pet ownership.

Butterfly

NC
Maybe try giving your russian a very gentle pet on the head. I do that with my greek and he just sits there and closes his eyes which I think means he likes it, plus, he would be able to see you coming so no surprises!

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
My redfoot Artemis loves a back scratch! He usually will feel me scratching the back of is shell, then he walks backwards pushing the butt against my hand. Then he will shake his butt back and forth as he pushes against my fingers! So funny!