Shell rot

ZenHerper

Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
That's a beautiful carapace!

If you circle the bit that concerns you and re-post the pic, someone can explain what you are seeing...

Toasty096

IL
That's a beautiful carapace!

If you circle the bit that concerns you and re-post the pic, someone can explain what you are seeing...
The one that concerns me is the one on the front

Attachments

• 3976BE33-C5D7-41D3-8689-6A055501E320.jpeg
    3976BE33-C5D7-41D3-8689-6A055501E320.jpeg
    565.7 KB · Views: 10

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Yeah, I do see that edge lifting up.

Shell rot is a condition that happens when the shell is in dirty wet conditions for too long. It's mostly a thing that happens to water turtles in dirty tanks or fouled ponds, or on a tortoise's plastron when they live in chronically muddy conditions.

If the keratin is not soft and there is no discharge coming up, there is no infection.

Tortoises don't usually shed their scutes. But they can be damaged and subsequently displaced (and regrown from underneath) by injuries - falls, animal bites, fires, etc..

If your pet does not have a history of any physical trauma, I might wonder if the irregular placement of the scutes down the back is pushing them against each other. Kind of like the Earth's tectonic plates...eventually some land gives way and mountains bump up.

In any case, it does not look unhealthy in itself...displaced scutes may pop off in time if the body has decided to regrow a new plate underneath. Or a superficial piece may peel away and leave a wonky appearance.

I'd just keep it under observation.

Toasty096

IL
Yeah, I do see that edge lifting up.

Shell rot is a condition that happens when the shell is in dirty wet conditions for too long. It's mostly a thing that happens to water turtles in dirty tanks or fouled ponds, or on a tortoise's plastron when they live in chronically muddy conditions.

If the keratin is not soft and there is no discharge coming up, there is no infection.

Tortoises don't usually shed their scutes. But they can be damaged and subsequently displaced (and regrown from underneath) by injuries - falls, animal bites, fires, etc..

If your pet does not have a history of any physical trauma, I might wonder if the irregular placement of the scutes down the back is pushing them against each other. Kind of like the Earth's tectonic plates...eventually some land gives way and mountains bump up.

In any case, it does not look unhealthy in itself...displaced scutes may pop off in time if the body has decided to regrow a new plate underneath. Or a superficial piece may peel away and leave a wonky appearance.

I'd just keep it under observation.
When I adopted her she came with it on her shell hasn’t gotten worse I was just wondering if it was

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
When I adopted her she came with it on her shell hasn’t gotten worse I was just wondering if it was
Scars and healed injuries are not uncommon on Russian tortoises.
They're very scrappy right out of the shell. And are skilled climbers/explorers.