Shell rot?

Shaybe13

Location (City and/or State)
Roanoke, VA
I was weighing my fairly new hatchling today and noticed weird "lines" on the bottom of his shell. He's acting totally normal and his shell is not soft anywhere. Is this the beginning of shell rot or something else?

1118201952.jpg

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Are you taking about the white lines? Those are growth lines. Or are you talking about the other lines in the middle? That is the umbilical scar that will go away over time. I don’t see anything that looks like rot to me.

Shaybe13

Roanoke, VA
Are you taking about the white lines? Those are growth lines. Or are you talking about the other lines in the middle? That is the umbilical scar that will go away over time. I don’t see anything that looks like rot to me.
I was concerned about the big brown lines. Are those still part of the umbilical scar?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
I see growth lines but there are 2 x white dots which could be rot but looks too young to have that already. What is the substrate?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I think I'm seeing the beginnings of fungus or rot. Look closely at the lighter colored spots, tan spots above the tail area and just above the left leg on the right side of the picture.

Shaybe13

Roanoke, VA
I see growth lines but there are 2 x white dots which could be rot but looks too young to have that already. What is the substrate?
The bottom layer is coco coir, the top layer is cypress mulch. He loves to hide under one of his logs all day and the ground is pretty damp there. I was planning on picking up some athletes foot cream today to see if that will clear it up.

Shaybe13

Roanoke, VA
I think I'm seeing the beginnings of fungus or rot. Look closely at the lighter colored spots, tan spots above the tail area and just above the left leg on the right side of the picture.
That's what I was thinking as well. I am planning to start treating him today and hopefully it will clear up quickly.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I agree with Y and I believe the cream will do it. My question why is a Redfoot would get shell rot, don't they live on the forest floor with high humidity and standing water?
@ZEROPILOT

Shaybe13

Roanoke, VA
I agree with Y and I believe the cream will do it. My question why is a Redfoot would get shell rot, don't they live on the forest floor with high humidity and standing water?
@ZEROPILOT
My guess would be because of the closed chamber style enclosure? It doesn't allow for airflow, while in the wild there's constant airflow.