Shell rot

Cleopatra 2020

Location (City and/or State)
El Mirage. Az
Just wondering how tortoises get shell rot what causes it and how to avoid it and what it can do to them thanks in advance for answering this question I know it's not an emergency but for future reference I like to know these things there's so much interesting information on this forum thanks to all the old-timers that have all the experience Hi-5 to you

LaLaP

5 Year Member
Portland, OR
I’ve never dealt with shell rot but from what I’ve read here it’s easy to treat with cream for athlete’s foot. I think it usually looks like a spot where the shell is flaky and mushy and you can scrape it away with your finger nail. It happens when the tort is kept on substrate that is too wet. Maybe someone else can give you a better first hand account. I just get all my info from reading posts from all the old-timers that make this forum great like you said.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Some tortoises, such as Redfoot require high humidity.
If the substrate is overly damp, the tortoises underside (or carapace) can get a fungal growth from prolonged contact that starts eating away small portions of the carapace.
When this is caught early, it is simply shell FUNGUS. Any anti fungal cream cures it quickly. Most of us use "Athletes foot cream".
If the condition is not stopped, it can grow into a bacterial condition where part of the shell actually starts to rot. There might be holes or crumbling area and there is usually a very bad smell associated with that.
This can also be accelerated by being in constant contact with urine and wet feces.This is shell ROT. This requires a veteranarian.
The remedy for both is to allow the carapace to dry completely for at least part of the day.
Humidity shouldn't include constant wetness.
And cleanliness is very important also.

Last edited: