Shell Rot or MBD?!

Charlie-and-me

Location (City and/or State)
SF Bay Area, CA
Hello Everyone,
I am a first time tortoise owner and very concerned about the growth of Charlie's shell.
Some info about Charlie:
-A little over a year old, Greek species.
-Inside tank enclosure, heat lamp that remains 90-100 degrees under the bulb.
-Separate UBV light and Lugarti's reptile soil bedding.
-Typical humidity levels range from 30-45% most hours of the day. Up to 60% after being sprayed down which I do about 2-3 times a week.
-He's eating great (mustard greens/arugula/dandelion greens and flowers alternating every few days and about 5-6 pebbles of T-Rex Tortoise Dry Pebbles daily), and once a week sprinkle calcium and multivitamins.
-Normal energy levels, normal poops.
-Soaked in water everyday/every other day for 15-20 mins.
-Taken outside about once a week for 2-3 hours in the sun.

I feel that I am doing everything right?

My concerns:
-Very abnormal craters on his plastron which leads me to the MBD question.
-On the outline of these craters are the rough "dried out" looking pieces which could be the rot.
-Some varying pinkness in the lines.

I know you guys get a lot of questions about Shell Rot, and I have read quite a few posts, but please if anyone could help me out this would help ease my mind and start treatment/seek Vet ASAP.
P.S I know I should have posted this a couple of months ago when I really started to notice it. :(

Thank you!!

First 2 pics are before a bath, and last 2 pics are after a bath and fully dried off. Please note the side profile one.
Also an enclosure picture.

IMG_2763.JPG IMG_2765.JPG IMG_2767.JPG IMG_2766.JPG IMG_2665.JPG

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I'm not sure that I see anything i would be concerned about, but if you want to treat for shell rot you can do so without any negative side effects if it isn't rot. all it takes is a little bit of athlete's foot cream. even the cheap stuff works.

Charlie-and-me

SF Bay Area, CA
Thank you so much MPRC, I will try that! For how many days should I apply? I put some Neosporin on him/her today (hopefully thats ok), but will try the athlete's foot cream tomorrow.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

Those little rough spots look like the start of shell rot to me. Athlete's foot cream is a good idea, and allow the substrate to dry out on top before you add more water.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
I blew up your plastron pic and it looks like couple of very small shell rot lesions. Wipe it down with betadine or Chlohexidine sol just 1 time and star applying athletes foot cream to the clean plastron. Keep your tort on dry substrate until this all closes up and evens back out.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
And why exactly worry about MBD? Provided good UVB source and calcium with food, I see no reason for concern. True, the diet could/should be a lot more diversified, but you are giving the trex which should be filling in the blanks left from low variety of fresh food. If your tort's shell feels solid and he is walking good, moving his limbs, active, eating well... then no reason to worry about MBD

Charlie-and-me

SF Bay Area, CA
Yvonne G and Pearly thank you guys so much for the quick response! I will definitely be taking it easy on the spray downs and I now have dedicated a towel for Charlie after bath time to make sure he is fully dry.

Pearly - Is hydrogen peroxide a safe alternative for the betadine? Also how many days should I be applying the fungal cream?