Shell rot on RES??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pembroke Pines
I just took these RES's from a friend since my two adults died. They were in a pond outside under a tree with no direct sun light. Sometimes they were able to get out of the water and sometimes the water level would drop and they couldn't get out. I think this is shell rot??? Any help on what to do is helpful, I have never delt with this before. I have been keeping them dry for half the day and in the water for the other half for the past two days. Someone suggested Vitashell so I put some on today after i took off the flaking scutes, but I know that won't cure it if its shell rot.

Here is the first one -
plastron2.png

carapace2.jpg

carapace2-2.jpg

And the second -
plastron1.jpg

carapace1-2.jpg

carapace1.jpg

Sorry for the lighting, any help is appreciated :]

zesty_17

5 Year Member
Florida
looks to me like old scutes, air can get trapped in there as they try to shed them. sometimes the turtle needs a little help. try (gently) pulling up around the edges and see if they are ready to come off, if the scute is very thin you may have to do this several times over the course of a week to get it all & allow the underside to loosen to get the rest.

if it is shell rot & not old scutes, i would get some nolvasan (chlorhexidine) from the drug store, soak daily for about 10min in diluted solution, and gently scrub with a toothbrush for about a week. if after a week it hasn't changed, then take to a vet.

Turtleswagg

5 Year Member
San Pedro, CA
id keep an i on it, i had the same thing and the guy at the pet shop said its ahedding but if it gets soft then be concerned

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Pembroke Pines
Thanks for the replies, it isn't soft but I can peel of thin layer on some scutes. I will continue with putting them in the sun daily and will scrub with a toothbrush. I am attempting to fing the nolvasan and will also soak them in that :]

Turtle Guru

5 Year Member
WV
No I think it's old scutes and I have some that have those so don't worry

Status
Not open for further replies.