Shell rot on my sulcata!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Sardis, MS
Hi everyone I know I haven't been on here in a while...last trimester of nursing school is a bit crazy. Anyways, I noticed what I think is shell rot on my baby. Its soft and you can almost kinda scrap it off. Tell me what ya'll think I should do. I have no clue how he got this. I thought it was hard for the Sulcata torts to get this. O and some of that is just dirt...what Im talking about is in the middle. I have the anti fungal cream...I just wanna make sure that is what it is.
t2i119.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Meredith:

I don't see the problem area.

But using the anti-fungal cream would not be harmful even if used on healthy tissue.

Are you talking about the dark area alongside the center line? Just give it a good scrubbing with a soft bristle brush then put some of the cream on it. I don't think its shell rot, but hard to tell from a picture.

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I too see nothing wrong. Looks like a healthy plastron to me. Are the soft areas in the lines between the scutes? If so, that is just new growth.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
The pink area is just new growth, don't put anything on it...and stop poking it.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
make sure he is getting sun and calcium..
what do you mean by soft? the center lines? DONT mess with that.. its growth and much like our fingernail cuticles..

shmily1605

5 Year Member
Sardis, MS
Kristina said:
I too see nothing wrong. Looks like a healthy plastron to me. Are the soft areas in the lines between the scutes? If so, that is just new growth.

Ummm no Im not talking about the pink lol; I know thats new shell growth. The dark areas are shell rot. I just got back from the vet. I went ahead and took him since my friend works up there and we were having lunch that day.

yagyujubei said:
The pink area is just new growth, don't put anything on it...and stop poking it.

You must think I'm stupid and know nothing ;P I am not talking about the pink. It is shell rot and I was not "poking" at it. I assessed the fact that some of the outer shell was slightly peeling off. How do you know if you don't touch it?!?

emysemys said:
Hi Meredith:

I don't see the problem area.

But using the anti-fungal cream would not be harmful even if used on healthy tissue.

Are you talking about the dark area alongside the center line? Just give it a good scrubbing with a soft bristle brush then put some of the cream on it. I don't think its shell rot, but hard to tell from a picture.

Thanks Yvonne, it turns out the vet said he was experiencing slight shell rot. I went ahead and took him since I was meeting my friend up there for lunch today. I just never thought he would get it.

Laura said:
make sure he is getting sun and calcium..
what do you mean by soft? the center lines? DONT mess with that.. its growth and much like our fingernail cuticles..

He does get sun almost daily when the weather is nice out and he does get calcium. As stated in my other posts I am not talking about the center lines; I know that is new growth. I am talking about the dark areas to the side of the center. Turns out it is shell rot. Thanks for your reply :)

ADVANceNA

5 Year Member
wow that IS shell rot ? or slight shell rot i should say ? what antifungal cream did they give you ? after i read this i took a look at einstein and he has two off color spots on his plastron that im scared about now haha

Status
Not open for further replies.