Shell Problems

TortloverPM

Location (City and/or State)
Cape Coral Florida
So I've looked through alot of threads but haven't found anything similiar. Not my tort but one that was found by a friend and owner hadn't been located as of now. He's active, eats and poops well just his poor shell has me concerned. Let me see if I can post pics.Thanks, any help is appreciated!

20200606_135012.jpg20200606_135020.jpg20200606_134916.jpg20200606_134923.jpg

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Definitely severe shell rot. It looks like it could be in different stages based on coloration of it. The underlying bone that is a is a dry looking pale or dirty white usually indicates older damage. Areas that appear to be a brighter white milky yellow are recent or active areas. These areas might also appear to look wet and will possibly even contain a yellow or whitish colored puss. Constant flushing with a betadine solution can help as well as keeping the shell clean and dry.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This tortoise has been injured, probably burned, many years ago. It's quite an old injury. It almost looks as if someone poured acid on him. The light colored shell (keratin) you see, that tan coloration, that's all new keratin that has grown UNDER the dead, burned shell. That's what he's going to look like once all the old dead shell flakes off. You can see it happening in the pictures where the shell is lifting. Under that lifting part is all new growth. The parts where it looks speckled and grey, that's the old, dead bone. Whatever you do, don't try to lift the shell off. It will happen on its own. It looks like there may be blood or raw-looking parts under one of the lifted spots. Don't pull at it or try to lift it. New shell hasn't grown under that part yet.

There's nothing to do for this shell. Whatever injury that happened is very old and not active at all. Tell your friend to keep the shell clean and make sure dirt and debris don't get stuck under the lifted parts. And if the tortoise is being kept under a light, make sure that light is not any closer than about 15" from the top of the tortoise when he's standing up on all four legs.

TortloverPM

Cape Coral Florida
Definitely severe shell rot. It looks like it could be in different stages based on coloration of it. The underlying bone that is a is a dry looking pale or dirty white usually indicates older damage. Areas that appear to be a brighter white milky yellow are recent or active areas. These areas might also appear to look wet and will possibly even contain a yellow or whitish colored puss. Constant flushing with a betadine solution can help as well as keeping the shell clean and dry.
Thankyou I will pass this along!

TortloverPM

Cape Coral Florida
This tortoise has been injured, probably burned, many years ago. It's quite an old injury. It almost looks as if someone poured acid on him. The light colored shell (keratin) you see, that tan coloration, that's all new keratin that has grown UNDER the dead, burned shell. That's what he's going to look like once all the old dead shell flakes off. You can see it happening in the pictures where the shell is lifting. Under that lifting part is all new growth. The parts where it looks speckled and grey, that's the old, dead bone. Whatever you do, don't try to lift the shell off. It will happen on its own. It looks like there may be blood or raw-looking parts under one of the lifted spots. Don't pull at it or try to lift it. New shell hasn't grown under that part yet.

There's nothing to do for this shell. Whatever injury that happened is very old and not active at all. Tell your friend to keep the shell clean and make sure dirt and debris don't get stuck under the lifted parts. And if the tortoise is being kept under a light, make sure that light is not any closer than about 15" from the top of the tortoise when he's standing up on all four legs.
Thankyou! I will definitely pass this along to my friend. The vet that had looked at it said about the same thing older injury, nothings open, so leave it be. He's a large animal vet so I wanted to ask on here to make sure. Poor guy, who only knows what his former owners were like or what all happened during his time in the wild here in Fl. I'm just happy he has a good home now and we will all love him no matter what his shell looks like.