Shell problems

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
My guess: Heat at close range. If this burn is only on one side of her shell then I'm guessing her heat source comes from the side/floor level and she spends lots of time in this spot to keep warm. Let's see what Yvonne and Tom say

rearlpettway

My guess: Heat at close range. If this burn is only on one side of her shell then I'm guessing her heat source comes from the side/floor level and she spends lots of time in this spot to keep warm. Let's see what Yvonne and Tom say
Thank you for your comment.
I will ask my friend were the heat source is located.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My guesses based on that pic would be old damage from a rodent or dog, or damage from another tortoise pinning it against something hard and ramming it.

Could also be some sort of "rot". More info on the care routine, location and housing might give us a clue about what is going on. I have heard of sulcatas kept too cold in wet unsanitary conditions for a long time developing shell rot issues, but that would usually be seen on the plastron.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'm assuming this is on the bottom shell at the edge?? It could be old, healed shell rot.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
An overall picture of the whole tortoise would help. Hard to initially tell what we're looking at. But from what I can see, that sure looks like constant abrasion from rubbing against a hard, abrasive surface. A brick/block/stucco wall or corner where it likes to rest and :"dig' in. Sulcatas have a natural habit of digging at the spot they choose to rest in before settling down. In the wild this is a mechanism for always digging up fresh, moist dirt in the burrow as they settle in. I captivity it creates constant movement and rubbing against the walls they are pushed into.

Here it has worn down through the scutes and bone is exposed. If it were shell rot, I think you would see bone damaged and eaten away. This looks like the scutes being worn/chipped off.

rearlpettway

My guesses based on that pic would be old damage from a rodent or dog, or damage from another tortoise pinning it against something hard and ramming it.

Could also be some sort of "rot". More info on the care routine, location and housing might give us a clue about what is going on. I have heard of sulcatas kept too cold in wet unsanitary conditions for a long time developing shell rot issues, but that would usually be seen on the plastron.
How do you treat this issue?