Shell not smooth

Alpha752

Location (City and/or State)
Cleveland, Ohio, USA
I am new to tortoises, but I love reading and learning about them. I just got Henry my Russian Tortoise about a month ago. He was a gift and was purchased from a chain pet store, so I am sure he was wild caught and not well taken care of. I have been working to get him well fed and hydrated since then. I am a little concerned because his shell is not smooth in the back, it is kind of concave along his spine, and some of the scoots are raised in the back. There is no pyramiding, although I think that is rare is Russians anyway. What do you think?
5315bbce1263843be8a9b230a12d44ba.jpg
c827e2142dc00e7498600257c79a1282.jpg

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
I agree, he really doesn't look bad. Quite large tubercules on the side of his tail - look more like spurs than I typically see on Russians.

Alpha752

Cleveland, Ohio, USA
I agree, he really doesn't look bad. Quite large tubercules on the side of his tail - look more like spurs than I typically see on Russians.
I noticed that also. I don discount the possibility that he was misidentified, but he looks like a Russian overall, so I am not sure.

Glad to hear that he is ok, and it's nothing to be worried about.

Alpha752

Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Here he is. He wasn't too thrilled at this impromptu photo session lol

Can you help guess age? I'm thinking about a year??? I am a large adult male if my hand gives size reference.

325f6a15003f253e45f8ebbe4127b3df.jpg
9b5afbdb06f1332b32fde614f7ef1441.jpg
f070edbe4426e5292a01dddcaaec6b4d.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Your tort is considerably older than one year. US pet store chains sell wild caught Russians. Age is anyone's guess, unless you know a hatch date, as they all grow at different rates and those raised in the wild tend to grow slower than those in captivity.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Just like not every humans head is perfectly round, tortoise shells can have different shapes. One of my Hermanns has the same concave scutes, nothing to worry about. ;)
shell.JPG

Can you help guess age? I'm thinking about a year???
Rough guess: 15-30 years. :p

Alpha752

Cleveland, Ohio, USA
Just like not every humans head is perfectly round, tortoise shells can have different shapes. One of my Hermanns has the same concave scutes, nothing to worry about. ;)
View attachment 202512

Rough guess: 15-30 years. :p
Your Hermanns is beautiful!

Oh my, I had no idea he was an adult already! I thought he still had some growing to do. Hopefully he isn't really that old, so we have some time to spend with him before he truly gets old.

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
I thought he still had some growing to do. Hopefully he isn't really that old, so we have some time to spend with him before he truly gets old.
I don't know how old you are, but Henri(ette) is still growing and will probably outlive you. Let's say you can grow old together. ;)

Alpha752

Cleveland, Ohio, USA
I don't know how old you are, but Henri(ette) is still growing and will probably outlive you. Let's say you can grow old together. ;)
I'm 35. [emoji6]

I just hope he isn't over 30 or something. I think lifespan for Russians is 50ish, less for wild caught. I want to have a good long time with my new friend.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That one scute that seems to be lifting does look like trouble. They don't lift like that normally. If it were my tortoise I would take it to the vet and ask if they could take a sample/swab from under there where it is lifted and see if it grows anything in the lab.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He is a she and at least 5-10 years old. You will have lots of time with her.
She does need a large enclosure, not one the pet store probably sold you. She needs minimum of a 4x8 foot.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
The one scute I think Yvonne is referring to looks to have grown over top the other at the end and therefore it's lifted slightly.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I'm 35. [emoji6]

I just hope he isn't over 30 or something. I think lifespan for Russians is 50ish, less for wild caught. I want to have a good long time with my new friend.
To me him in your hand...makes him look very small...my guess is the opposite of the popular...he's small...looks like about 6 or 7 years to me...ok Wellington...tell me how wrong I am...lol:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
To me him in your hand...makes him look very small...my guess is the opposite of the popular...he's small...looks like about 6 or 7 years to me...ok Wellington...tell me how wrong I am...lol:)
You are right in the range I said, 5-10😝.
My male i rescued is very small too. About the size of this one. But mine is also WC but over 10 years for sure.