Shell is soft

Kevin Kaz

It would be my "guess" that they are not exposed to high enough temps. @Markw84 posted a ratio of D3 utilization to temps diagram or text. Some part of the process needs that higher body temp.

FWIW, basking at 70F is good, as they can accumulate heat with sun exposure. One of those temperature guns can help you see this in action.

I had a few testudo with the same issue, I gave them a CHE and their shells hardened up over several weeks. It is my thought that different species might have different minimum temps to utilize the calcium and D vitamins for laying down bone. Leopards seem to need those higher temps, as do Testudo species.
They have a CHE overnight, I noticed with my new UVB bulb, temperatures are very low, so I have my UVB and CHE bulbs running at the same time to keep the 75+ temperature. I have the CHE turn max temp at 88

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
They have a CHE overnight, I noticed with my new UVB bulb, temperatures are very low, so I have my UVB and CHE bulbs running at the same time to keep the 75+ temperature. I have the CHE turn max temp at 88

Just to be clear, maybe I was not. Inside temps for D vitamin cycling need to be no less than 85 and up to 95F. Outside temps are okay at 70F, as the tortoise will accumulate heat from actual direct sun basking.

Kevin Kaz

I already ordered the ZooMed 10.0 after you respond with it.
@Kapidolo Farms and @Tom... after I bought the UVB 10.0 zoomed bulb and with my calcium 2x a week with D3... 2 of 3 shells has hardened up and tomorrow which will finally be partial Sunny 70+degrees and I plan on working outside, I can finally put them outside in my little pen with a dish of water as I work in the yard and get some natural sun! We have had below 70’s with hard rain for 5 of 7 days a week for the past 3 months the city news said! Thank you for the advice now that 2 of the 3 hardened!!!