Shell is separating? Bumpy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nimbledoe

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
North Central Washington
This is new this past month. Seems like Oakley's scutes are getting bumpier and separating a little? Also the bottom scutes/marginals are beginning to turn up slightly. They guess she is 8- 10 years old.

I have been feeding the spring mix with added red or green lettuce, cactus pad. Along with 3 times a week a sprinkling of TNT and calcium. She also self baths or drinks nearly daily. I have a uvb basking lamp that she enjoys off and on through out the day. My enclosure is 6 feet long and 3 1/2 feet wide with a second floor ramp. She seems to get lots of exersises. One end is 95 -100 de.down to 65 -70 at the other end.

The first picture is of a little over a month ago. The second is of today. Is she growing too fast? I thought she should grow more smoothly?? How worried should I be??

IMG_0322_zpsbe446d4b.jpg

IMG_0356_zpsd2e31a72.jpg

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Pyramiding happens on the scutes. Your guy looks great. His growth is between the scutes which is normal.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Looks like normal, healthy new growth to me. Nothing to worry about, and good that Oakley is growing!
Once the weather gets nicer I recommend adding some more variety from outside (dandelions and other edible weeds from the list on www.russiantortoise.net).
The color will darken in time - new growth in RTs looks waxy and pale yellow, then the speckles grow into it, and in time, will look more like the rest of the shell.

Nimbledoe said:
This is new this past month. Seems like Oakley's scutes are getting bumpier and separating a little? Also the bottom scutes/marginals are beginning to turn up slightly. They guess she is 8- 10 years old.

I have been feeding the spring mix with added red or green lettuce, cactus pad. Along with 3 times a week a sprinkling of TNT and calcium. She also self baths or drinks nearly daily. I have a uvb basking lamp that she enjoys off and on through out the day. My enclosure is 6 feet long and 3 1/2 feet wide with a second floor ramp. She seems to get lots of exersises. One end is 95 -100 de.down to 65 -70 at the other end.

The first picture is of a little over a month ago. The second is of today. Is she growing too fast? I thought she should grow more smoothly?? How worried should I be??

IMG_0322_zpsbe446d4b.jpg

IMG_0356_zpsd2e31a72.jpg

Nimbledoe

5 Year Member
North Central Washington
biochemnerd808 said:
Looks like normal, healthy new growth to me. Nothing to worry about, and good that Oakley is growing!
Once the weather gets nicer I recommend adding some more variety from outside (dandelions and other edible weeds from the list on www.russiantortoise.net).
The color will darken in time - new growth in RTs looks waxy and pale yellow, then the speckles grow into it, and in time, will look more like the rest of the shell.

Thank you all very much for getting back to me. biochemnerd808, good information and its good to know Oakley is 'normal'. I can't wait till the snow is gone and all the new weeds, flowers etc. start coming up. She will have a much more variety in her diet.

Nimbledoe said:

IMG_0322_zpsbe446d4b.jpg

IMG_0356_zpsd2e31a72.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.