Suzettem99

Location (City and/or State)
San Diego
Hello! I’m new here and also new at being a tortoise mom. I recently purchased a baby tortoise (not from the best place but I didn’t like the conditions it was in and was hoping to give them a better home). Ever since I got it, the shell sort of has a dent and they’re doing great so far but I just want to know it’s not going to affect my tortoise’s health. I’m attaching a picture for reference. Thanks!

F5807B02-D875-4F1A-838F-A69B96426C8C.jpeg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. That tortoise has had a rough start. Here is the correct care info:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's very dry and I don't like to see closed eyes when a tortoise is being handled. The eyes should be open and bright.

Using a small bowl with tall sides ( so he can't climb out - and small so you can set it back in the enclosure to keep it warm), add warm water up to the middle of his sides - where top shell meets bottom shell and let him soak for about 30 minutes. After a few days of soaks if his eyes still aren't open you need to explore other avenues. Compare the set up and the way you care for him with the info in the care sheet linked in Tom's post.

(once he's fully hydrated the bump should go away)

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
He's very dry and I don't like to see closed eyes when a tortoise is being handled. The eyes should be open and bright.

Using a small bowl with tall sides ( so he can't climb out - and small so you can set it back in the enclosure to keep it warm), add warm water up to the middle of his sides - where top shell meets bottom shell and let him soak for about 30 minutes. After a few days of soaks if his eyes still aren't open you need to explore other avenues. Compare the set up and the way you care for him with the info in the care sheet linked in Tom's post.

the eyes arent closed they are really sunken, which is a sign of dehydration i belive.

Suzettem99

San Diego

That wass a picture of when I first got it (I’m attaching a more recent one). I did a lot of research on that because he wouldn’t open his eyes very much at the beginning and that scared me. I’ve been soaking him everyday twice for 30 minutes and I think he looks a lot better now since he’s a lot more active and open his eyes. From reading Tom’s post, I realized I definitely need to work on the enclosure though because I soak him twice a day and noticed he was still too dry for my liking. Thank you guys so much! I’ll get working on it to provide him a longer and healthier life!

26C615F1-A506-4C47-B8D0-D132A33A3F95.jpeg