Shell Health

HerbsMom

Hi Everyone,
This is my first post on this forum as I am a rather new tortoise owner. I came to have a tortoise unexpectedly. My husband and I are avid animal lovers. My husband got a call from a friend about a tortoise at a golf course he plays at. The tortoise ( now known as Herb) was in the middle of the fairway walking around. In the picture he looked huge like 100+ pounds. When my husband and I saw the picture we thought wow! so we went up to the golf course to see him. Besides a zoo I have never been around reptiles much less a tortoise. When we got there we realized the picture was a bit misleading as he was much smaller. There were many people crowded around him passing him around I just knew he was scared, he had writing all over his shell. He had clearly been someone's pet and he either had broke free or someone didn't want him anymore and set him free. It was certainly not like any "turtle" I had ever seen. So someone in the crowd said they were taking him because his friend loved turtle soup and was basically going to kill and eat him and my husband said no we are taking him and we got a box and basically just left with him. Leaving with him was completely unplanned but we weren't going to just let someone kill and eat him and also he seemed really scared.

It has been a few months now and I absolutely love him. I never thought I would bond with a reptile like a cat or dog but I have. I am still trying to learn as much as possible about him and doing the best we can to give him the best care possible. After searching pictures I discovered he is an African Sulcata. We believe he is around 2-3 years old as he is about 10 lbs and a foot long. When we got him he had paint all over his shell and what appeared to be some pyramiding. We got the paint off his shell and after researching made his diet, soaking, and sunlight the biggest priority. I have tried to cover all the bases from UVB lights to calcium supplements, substrates, grass diet, soaking every other day etc. It appears in all that his shell health I overlooked. I noticed today a small, I'm not sure if "crack" is the right word in his plastron. I searched shell rot on this forum and I think it may be that or a fungus. I added a picture of what his shell looks like. I am very open to suggestions but please be kind as we are still trying to reverse whatever care was given to him before we found him which we think was very minimal. Thank you and I look forward to using this forum more.

Attachments

• Shell.jpeg
    Shell.jpeg
    39.3 KB · Views: 75

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
What a great save.....good job :D All that I see in this pic are growth lines....is there a specific "spot" you are concerned with? May we see a top side picture and of his face?

HerbsMom

ascott said:
What a great save.....good job :D All that I see in this pic are growth lines....is there a specific "spot" you are concerned with? May we see a top side picture and of his face?

Thank You for your reply! There are slight "cracks" on both sides of shell where my fingers are. I noticed it because there was grass stuck in it. If that is just normal growth awesome. I have searched for pics of healthy plastron everywhere and haven't really found anything for his age. I attached pics of him from when we first found him. I think his shell may be a little dry from the research I've done so I ordered him a shell conditioner. Thanks for your help! I just want to do the best by him. We live in a remote area for the time being and I have not been able to find a tortoise vet in the area. We hope to be moving soon though so hopefully that will change so I can just get confirmation that I am taking care of him properly.

Attachments

• Herb1.jpg
    Herb1.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 44
  • Herb2.jpg
    Herb2.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 41

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
I think that the tort is fine....well, the tort likely had prior caregiver that did not offer all of the best husbandry...but if you set the tort up to receive sunlight, grass for grazing, water for drinking, a soaking dish for the tort to self soak...then you will find that the tort does alot better....

The area on the plastron you refer to is hard to tell if those are ill developed growth lines or if there was a prior shell issue that has since healed and left the deep grooves....I do not see anything in the pic that screams for any immediate aid though...