Shell health

Faygen

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Midlands UK
Unsure if I'm been a little paranoid but I got George about a month ago and his shell has always looked this way but is something wrong? His scutes seem a bit sunk in on some sides.. he's a Russian and 4 years old

PXL_20210108_120239345.PORTRAIT.jpg

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks like pretty normal captive growth. Looks pretty good actually. Better than "normal" captive growth. You appear to have found a good balance between humidity, hydration, and all the electric heat. Its working for your tortoise.

Please go into your user profile and put in a location so we know where in the word your are. This helps us give better answers to your questions.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Fay:

I see the one sunken scute that you're worried about. Describe your enclosure and how you care for the tortoise. It might be his area is a bit too humid for a Russian tortoise.

Faygen

5 Year Member
Midlands UK
Replace his water daily and give his substrate a light spraying of water on a night and his diet is all leafs and the odd treat like a strawberry I was concerned he was too dry not too humid

Faygen

5 Year Member
Midlands UK
Basking temp is 33-35 and lower temp is between 23-25 temp never drops below 18 as I'm always cold too ? also I'm in the UK sorry it's in so many posts kept forgetting to add stuff

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Actually, that shell is quite pretty. I don't know why that one scute is slightly sunken, but if he were mine, I wouldn't worry about it.

Faygen

5 Year Member
Midlands UK
Thanks Yvonne think I'm very over cautious since I lost my last two I'm sure I'll stop worrying about every little thing soon ?