Shell hardening

Status
Not open for further replies.

aluras

10 Year Member!
Hello everyone,
My baby sulcata is pretty young, around 4months I think. Its shell and plastron seem to still be kinda soft, Not really soft at all, just has a little give to it. Im sure its not a problem but i just wanted to make sure. How long does it take for it to get really hardend? And what can I do to keep it that way?
The little guy/girl lives on a tort table 4'x2' with a 100w heat light,ceramic heat emitter at night 100w, and a 5.0 UVB. I feed the little one spring mix from the store whith a mix of grass I grew from seeds I got @ www.sulcatafood.com also I mix in some timothy hay cut small. I also have a half of cuttlebone in there that gets chewed on once in a while. Oh and I have a wooden hide in there but it really dosnt get used often....Please let me know what you all think.
Thanks
~Aaron
P.S. Happy new year

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Babies have a bit of a give to them for the first 8 or 10 months to a year. A little "give" isn't the same as a soft shell.

Yvonne

M

Maggie Cummings

Aaron, if she doesn't use the hide, where does she sleep? I just went and poked a few of the babies that I have and they feel kinda soft, but you need to remember yours is a baby and mine are babies and you would expect it to be a little soft...squishy is a whole other train going by tho...do you add and powdered calcium on her food? You should do that regularly. Just sprinkle it lightly over her food a couple of times a week...

aluras

10 Year Member!
He/she sleeps in the corner under an aloe plant thats in there. And Totally not squishy, Just KINDA SOFT. Im glad to hear that its normal. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.