Shell Flattening in the Centre, what do I do?

Roshankolar

Location (City and/or State)
Muscat
Hi,
I have had this guy for more than a year now. Got him young. The tort is very active. I’m in Oman so I don’t get all the required tortoise food here. I have searched far and wide. I have the supplements though for calcium, it’s like pellets. But I have ground them up. I add it with the lettuce leaves. Now since 4 months I see this dipression on the back, it’s like the shell is flattening in the centre (middle) of the shell. It looks painful to me, but the tort is active. Also near the flat area, I can see the shell clipping up, like a piece from a jigsaw puzzle. A bit though. I’m not sure what needs to be done. The tort is indoors, I stay in a 6 floor building. So I thought the reason was sunshine, so now I bring him near the window for a while (an hour) and take him back to his enclosure. I have a box turned into a space for him to walk around. It’s has no lights, because I was not able to find anything here. The shop that sold me the tort said you only need a enclosure and lettuce should be fine. I later realised that torts have their own dietary requirements and these aren’t available in the country. Please let me know how I can make the torts shell come back up again.

Attachments

• 050FD306-996D-403D-9495-45C6C84C5749.jpeg
    050FD306-996D-403D-9495-45C6C84C5749.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 50
  • 00C8E5DB-0D90-4F79-A806-0804ACA8F4CD.jpeg
    00C8E5DB-0D90-4F79-A806-0804ACA8F4CD.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 49
  • 3252989B-F4D6-487E-BE36-10D18D93F7BD.jpeg
    3252989B-F4D6-487E-BE36-10D18D93F7BD.jpeg
    1,021.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 82D8EF4F-5931-4DD6-A7AE-95ACD455F2E1.jpeg
    82D8EF4F-5931-4DD6-A7AE-95ACD455F2E1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 50

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Hi,
I have had this guy for more than a year now. Got him young. The tort is very active. I’m in Oman so I don’t get all the required tortoise food here. I have searched far and wide. I have the supplements though for calcium, it’s like pellets. But I have ground them up. I add it with the lettuce leaves. Now since 4 months I see this dipression on the back, it’s like the shell is flattening in the centre (middle) of the shell. It looks painful to me, but the tort is active. Also near the flat area, I can see the shell clipping up, like a piece from a jigsaw puzzle. A bit though. I’m not sure what needs to be done. The tort is indoors, I stay in a 6 floor building. So I thought the reason was sunshine, so now I bring him near the window for a while (an hour) and take him back to his enclosure. I have a box turned into a space for him to walk around. It’s has no lights, because I was not able to find anything here. The shop that sold me the tort said you only need a enclosure and lettuce should be fine. I later realised that torts have their own dietary requirements and these aren’t available in the country. Please let me know how I can make the torts shell come back up again.
Your tort is suffering from metabolic bone disease from lack of uvb (sunshine) Torts can't process calcium without it. Since you live where buying a UVB light is not an option, you'll need to start taking this tort outside for sunshine a couple hours a week. If you don't start doing this asap it will get worse. Don't leave the tort in full sunlight for hours though, brief trips. You don't want your tort to overheat in the full sunlight either.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
MBD is very painful. He needs uvb from the sun for his body to process the calcium. 2 or 3 hours a week in the sun. You cannot make his shell go upo again. But you can stop it from getting worse and you can keep it from being painful.
This is a place that we know is good and you can get food and supplements from him.

Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He needs serious help asap. Sunlight thru a window does nothing but warm him up. The uv does not go thru glass or fine mesh.
Get him an enclosure set up outside with some shade and if you can let him live outside locking him up at night.
He needs water to drink 24/7 in a shallow clay saucer big enough for him to get into.
Try to find better and more food choices.
He needs temp that do not go below 80 day and night and needs a basking spot that reaches 95-100 at tortoise height. Put lights in his enclosure inside and the sun can do its job when he is outside.
I would let the pet store know how wrong and bad their info was, infact it is abusive and neglectful.
Get things changed asap.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
He needs serious help asap. Sunlight thru a window does nothing but warm him up. The uv does not go thru glass or fine mesh.
Get him an enclosure set up outside with some shade and if you can let him live outside locking him up at night.
He needs water to drink 24/7 in a shallow clay saucer big enough for him to get into.
Try to find better and more food choices.
He needs temp that do not go below 80 day and night and needs a basking spot that reaches 95-100 at tortoise height. Put lights in his enclosure inside and the sun can do its job when he is outside.
I would let the pet store know how wrong and bad their info was, infact it is abusive and neglectful.
Get things changed asap.
His lungs are directly below his carapace or the top of the shell. Please get his care turned around quickly.

Roshankolar

Muscat
Your tort is suffering from metabolic bone disease from lack of uvb (sunshine) Torts can't process calcium without it. Since you live where buying a UVB light is not an option, you'll need to start taking this tort outside for sunshine a couple hours a week. If you don't start doing this asap it will get worse. Don't leave the tort in full sunlight for hours though, brief trips. You don't want your tort to overheat in the full sunlight either.

Thank you for the information. I have starting doing this. I keep the tort exposed to sunshine for 30-45 minutes in a different enclosure, smaller one. I read about it sometime back and realised torts get the calcium required from their body metabolism through sunlight vitamin D processing. Without it, it used the shells calcium for the body. Feel so sad. I should have read and done this before. Will keep him exposed to a bit of sunlight everyday. And can I ask you something? I’m confused what breed my Leo is, I was told it’s a Greek Tort. Is it so?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thank you for the information. I have starting doing this. I keep the tort exposed to sunshine for 30-45 minutes in a different enclosure, smaller one. I read about it sometime back and realised torts get the calcium required from their body metabolism through sunlight vitamin D processing. Without it, it used the shells calcium for the body. Feel so sad. I should have read and done this before. Will keep him exposed to a bit of sunlight everyday. And can I ask you something? I’m confused what breed my Leo is, I was told it’s a Greek Tort. Is it so?
This is neither a leopard or Greek tortoise, it's a hingeback.

TeamZissou

Albuquerque, NM
This is neither a leopard or Greek tortoise, it's a hingeback.

I believe this is a Greek, most likely T.g. terrestris. The rear scutes are pretty crazy due to the MBD, but I do not see evidence of a hinge. Other aspects like the face/nose, coloration are all consistent for a Greek.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
I believe this is a Greek, most likely T.g. terrestris. The rear scutes are pretty crazy due to the MBD, but I do not see evidence of a hinge. Other aspects like the face/nose, coloration are all consistent for a Greek.
Looking closer I think you might be right.

harrythetortoise

Virginia
Hi,
You can also see if there are dandelion leaves from outside (make sure no chemical sprayed areas), or plantain leaves. Those are pretty easy to find and grow anywhere.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Please try to get correct conditions as priority. Heat, light, diet and also add a cuttle fish bone to the enclosure same used for caged birds and leave that in the enclosure 24x 7 this will help with calcium. Please try to connect with a reptile shop or market or supplier for additional equipment it will be available somewhere.

Example
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=cuttle...d=kwd-356855824767&hydadcr=16908_1745145&tag=

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
So, I think the conclusion so far is that you have a Greek tortoise.
Please read the Greek caresheet and make any needed adjustments.
@HermanniChris may be able to give another confirmation of species.