shell deformation

teresaf

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Port Charlotte, Florida
I believe it's a combination of a dry start to life causing pyramiding and Metabolic bone disease (MBD) due to lack of calcium and D3 in his diet. I believe, if I'm remembering right, Tortoises can't absorb calcium unless they have D3 which comes from sunlight...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In my opinion, the tortoise's shelter has a low ceiling and the heat/light is too close to the top of the shell. But it's only a guess, as I have no earthly idea how the tortoise is being cared for.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
In my opinion, the tortoise's shelter has a low ceiling and the heat/light is too close to the top of the shell. But it's only a guess, as I have no earthly idea how the tortoise is being cared for.
I'm with Yvonne. I'll bet if you look at the way your tortoise sleeps in it's enclosure, it is pushed into a corner with that portion of it's shell directly under a heat source. Looks like the new growth (seams) of those scutes are being slow cooked every night.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
So what's the cash rewards if I call that number?

I didn't even see that until you pointed it out. My reds all have blue gaffers tape on them with our # until we've settled in and determined that the yard is truly escape proof.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I thought of that but was too lazy too mention it at the time mostly because I can't type and partially because the schutes on top looked undamaged.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
I didn't even see that until you pointed it out. My reds all have blue gaffers tape on them with our # until we've settled in and determined that the yard is truly escape proof.
That was actually a very good idea I could use on my leopard but not on my Burmese black mountain torts. Is there a thread for suggestions on putting some sort of ID on torts? Chips Don't work because no one knows to check for one besides mine are a little too young for chips. Chip id would work if you had your tortoise stolen and needed to prove it was yours but that would be after you found it somehow.