Shell butting

John Alford

Location (City and/or State)
Paisley
So I weighed my hermann Winston about and hour ago, I put my hand on the scale to press a button because it was on the wrong unit of measurement and he put his head in his shell and lunges towards me, Almost like a headbutt, is this Normal?? (I got the fright of my life)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If you don't put your hand in front of his face, it will never happen again.

Reserchbeforecommitment

10 Year Member!
Hi guys, hope it's ok to jump in here with a similar question. My 5 year old sulcata is so very aggressive, she hisses and rams and chases me. I have to keep my eye in her when I'm cleaning her outdoor enclosure or going to fill her pond as she will charge at me from where ever she is. Obviously I avoid her but it's getting worse. she is 5 years old 16 inches and 37lbs. Thanks in advance

Bambam1989

East Texas
Hi guys, hope it's ok to jump in here with a similar question. My 5 year old sulcata is so very aggressive, she hisses and rams and chases me. I have to keep my eye in her when I'm cleaning her outdoor enclosure or going to fill her pond as she will charge at me from where ever she is. Obviously I avoid her but it's getting worse. she is 5 years old 16 inches and 37lbs. Thanks in advance
I don't have first hand experience with an aggressive tort but I read about a few cases.
A method I frequently hear is that when she comes after you, flip her over gently. This is supposed to represent you winning the battle for dominance. Flip her back right gently too.. I have no idea if it would work or if it would take a few times.

chin_lee

5 Year Member
WA state Pacific Northwest
Shes joisting for dominance. In nature they would ram back until one is subdued and turns away and runs from the dominant one. One of my big herman tried and I pretty much "rammed " back with my knuckles on his shell pushing it slightly with each knock. He quickly conceded I was stronger and never tried again

chin_lee

5 Year Member
WA state Pacific Northwest
Shes joisting for dominance. In nature they would ram back until one is subdued and turns away and runs from the dominant one. One of my big herman tried and I pretty much "rammed " back with my knuckles on his shell pushing it slightly with each knock. He quickly conceded I was stronger and never tried again
Just be careful .....often they will bite too. Obviously don't bite it back but you can use your fingers to pinch it's scales on the legs to immitate a bite. Your torts are much bigger than mine though.....just make sure you can win that fight otherwise it's gonna come snapping and ramming you at any opportunity

Reserchbeforecommitment

10 Year Member!
Thank you. I have actually shoved her back and even once when she was just relentless I moved her backwards away from me, this appeared to give her pause for thought. I have spent a lot of hours on her living space, enclosures, hides etc, and find it pleasing that she is happy enough there to bother defending her territory. I never entered tortoise ownership looking for a loving cuddly pet, but I do really enjoy her company and I wish my presence didn't cause her so much anxiety. I can respect her space tho and watch from afar if that's what's needed, however I wanted to ask if anyone here had any similar experiences or if this was typical. If she can't see me she's not bothered by much of anything.

Attachments

• IMG_4661.JPG
    IMG_4661.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 35

Bee62

Germany
Hi, have you tried to feed her when you must go into her outdoor enclosure?
Some special treat or lettuce could make her less agressive. Maybe she is able to learn that you are the one who gives her the treats.

Reserchbeforecommitment

10 Year Member!
Thank you
Yes I have tried this lots and lots of times, I often feed her a treat or two then leave her alone with her food, however she will demolish the pile of food, ignore the treat and smashes into my hand! Haha.
I'm thinking she is female as she certainly looks like one and has never flashed any boy bits, but as I have read on her only time will tell

Bee62

Germany
Thank you
Yes I have tried this lots and lots of times, I often feed her a treat or two then leave her alone with her food, however she will demolish the pile of food, ignore the treat and smashes into my hand! Haha.
I'm thinking she is female as she certainly looks like one and has never flashed any boy bits, but as I have read on her only time will tell
Torts are slow in learning. But when she don`t want to learn the "soft way", I would try the "hard way". I would use a big syringe without a needle or a water pistol filled with cold water. When she comes agressive to you spray a little bit of the cold water in her face. That might stop her but I am sure you will never be friends with this method...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you
Can we see pics of "her" tail and anal scutes. This is very rare behavior for a female. I have one female that will do this with other unfamiliar tortoises, but never toward a human. I've never had a male do this, but I've seen and heard of a couple of other people's males do it.