Sheldon growth update. Enjoy

Amanda81

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Jun 24, 2014
Messages
710
Location (City and/or State)
Northeast Tennessee
He's looks great, I can't wait til mine is that size. Im a firm believer that diet plays a huge roll in how they grow and come along and I try to provide as natural a diet as possible. I'm super curious about his diet and how you feed him, If you don't mind me asking, You said his diet is 90% grass, what do u give for the other 10%? and is there a schedule u use? My climate @ the moment is a bit different then yours and requires my guy to b inside from around October to April-may, so there is no grazing time those months but I want to provide him w as natural a diet as possible so during the summer months when he able to be outside full time I spend my time picking things, weeds, flowers, leaves, whatever I have available, I then dehydrate some of it and bag up to b used as a "salad topper" and the rest I use a food processor and chop it into purée and freeze it in cubes, this way he is still getting his "summer" diet in the winter months as well. He grazes all day during the summer months so his grass intake is probably about 90% in the summer but in the winter I give hay because the grass isn't available and it's usually half hay half defrosted weed cubes. I do feed mazuri twice weekly but never alone, it's usually mixed w his hay. I am planning to move this fall to a climate where he can be outside full time year round, so he will b able to graze and his diet be majority grass/grazing, this is 1 the reasons why I'm curious about how and what you give the other 10%. (And well my 2nd reason is your guy looks spectacular so it's apparently working well for ya)
 

ogmoses

Active Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2012
Messages
140
He's looks great, I can't wait til mine is that size. Im a firm believer that diet plays a huge roll in how they grow and come along and I try to provide as natural a diet as possible. I'm super curious about his diet and how you feed him, If you don't mind me asking, You said his diet is 90% grass, what do u give for the other 10%? and is there a schedule u use? My climate @ the moment is a bit different then yours and requires my guy to b inside from around October to April-may, so there is no grazing time those months but I want to provide him w as natural a diet as possible so during the summer months when he able to be outside full time I spend my time picking things, weeds, flowers, leaves, whatever I have available, I then dehydrate some of it and bag up to b used as a "salad topper" and the rest I use a food processor and chop it into purée and freeze it in cubes, this way he is still getting his "summer" diet in the winter months as well. He grazes all day during the summer months so his grass intake is probably about 90% in the summer but in the winter I give hay because the grass isn't available and it's usually half hay half defrosted weed cubes. I do feed mazuri twice weekly but never alone, it's usually mixed w his hay. I am planning to move this fall to a climate where he can be outside full time year round, so he will b able to graze and his diet be majority grass/grazing, this is 1 the reasons why I'm curious about how and what you give the other 10%. (And well my 2nd reason is your guy looks spectacular so it's apparently working well for ya)
Sorry I haven't been on he forums much.
Thanks Sheldon is enjoying the Socal sun.
Where are you located?
I think is very important that they graze as much as possible every day. Even if in the winters months you only take him out for a few hours.
The other 10% is weeds and cactus pads. We have a lot dandelion he munches on big time and about once every two weeks some times more he gets a cup of tortoises diets spread out throughout the yard and fruit every two months or so i can't remember the last time he had any :(
Oh yeah hibiscus flowers and mulberry leave I get from a coworker every couple of weeks-months !
But I think most most important is the humidity I have special rain simulation sprinklers on a tripod and the grass is usually soggy on hot days but it's alway wet always. ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1491982623.278874.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1491982708.542941.jpg
 

ben awes

Well-Known Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Jul 30, 2013
Messages
434
Sheldon looks great, standing nice and tall! Been looking on your threads but don't see a recent length and weight for this guy? He was hatched in '11?

Thanks
Ben
 

ogmoses

Active Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2012
Messages
140
Sheldon looks great, standing nice and tall! Been looking on your threads but don't see a recent length and weight for this guy? He was hatched in '11?

Thanks
Ben
Correct he is a sibling to tuff :)
Gosh sorry about not having growth update he is well over 30lbs now and growing faster than ever I'll try to get some numbers this weekend :)
 

ogmoses

Active Member
5 Year Member
Joined
Jun 11, 2012
Messages
140
Sheldon looks great, standing nice and tall! Been looking on your threads but don't see a recent length and weight for this guy? He was hatched in '11?

Thanks
Ben
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1492004388.557642.jpg
Here is my buddy Cory with him for some size reference:) he's a heavy boy :)
 

New Posts

Top