Shedding Skin Around Tail & Small Sore HELP

ohio

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NEOhio
Took my Hermann tort out of hibernation almost two weeks ago and now i'm starting to notice shedding skin around her tail. I know shedding around the neck and head is normal but this is something new for me.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
Any ideas, I've been soaking her 3 to 4 times a week since i took her out of hibernation. Also i did find a roundworm in her poop when she finally pooped. (in the fall there was no evidence of parasites) She is gaining weight and is at a 0.215 on the Jackson ration although her skin has been very dry since i took her out of hibernation. The sore is where her skin naturally creases. Overly concerned, going to deworm on Monday just wanted her to put on weight before i treated her. Awaiting an answer from the experts.

On a side note, does this mean my hibernating torts have worms? They were all in the same outdoor enclosure all summer/fall. As well as sharing an indoor enclosure.

I did do a fecal smear this morning and only saw some Parameciums swimming around. No worms or eggs or segments of any worms. And her poop is very stinky. I feed her spring mix letuce and edible weeds i can forage outside, what could be causing soft stool and stinky?

Please help, i'm under the assumption that if one has it, all have it.

Taylor T.

5 Year Member
New England
What do you keep them in when they are hibernating? Is it possible that some sort of rodent got in and was the cause of those missing scales? I don't know what could cause the smelly stool, but somebody more experienced probably does.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
in a box in the refrigerator. Not a rodent, The sore is right at the crease of her leg which folds when she walks. Maybe i pulled some dry skin and caused it. Or was it under the skin?

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
it was also the first time she's hibernated in 3 to 4 years. I didn't hibernate last year didn't have enough ligature or the confidants, but i did this year due to trying to mimic nature. She also gained a lot of weight and fast.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Took my Hermann tort out of hibernation almost two weeks ago and now i'm starting to notice shedding skin around her tail. I know shedding around the neck and head is normal but this is something new for me.
View attachment 166268
View attachment 166269
View attachment 166270
Any ideas, I've been soaking her 3 to 4 times a week since i took her out of hibernation. Also i did find a roundworm in her poop when she finally pooped. (in the fall there was no evidence of parasites) She is gaining weight and is at a 0.215 on the Jackson ration although her skin has been very dry since i took her out of hibernation. The sore is where her skin naturally creases. Overly concerned, going to deworm on Monday just wanted her to put on weight before i treated her. Awaiting an answer from the experts.

On a side note, does this mean my hibernating torts have worms? They were all in the same outdoor enclosure all summer/fall. As well as sharing an indoor enclosure.

I did do a fecal smear this morning and only saw some Parameciums swimming around. No worms or eggs or segments of any worms. And her poop is very stinky. I feed her spring mix letuce and edible weeds i can forage outside, what could be causing soft stool and stinky?

Please help, i'm under the assumption that if one has it, all have it.

Could be a number of simple things...perhaps the spot was a resting spot, like the skin was creased during sleep/rest ....perhaps there was some poo or a splinter or object poking at that spot....a little skin irritation fester during rest.....does not look bad, just would keep it clean and let it heal...I would not mess or fuss with it too much though....they are pretty tough and resilient .....cute butt shot by the way...:p

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Looks like some sort of skin irritation has caused it to peel off. I would clean it real good with Chlorhexidine (an antibacterial surgical scrub that you can buy at the pharmacy), rinse it well, pat it dry, then dab on some Neosporin. This will kill any germs that are growing on the area.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Will do. I'll pick some up after work then give her an evening at the spa.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
First she got a nice warm soak, then she didn't like me scrubbing her back area, i used a soft bristle toothbrush with an antibacterial scrub. Then i rubbed the area down with Neosporin. She did put on a lot of weight since shes been out of hibernation, could it be tortoise stretch marks? just kidding she's gotta nice little boody. Whay i thought was a worm turns out to be kale fibers i think because i found it again. i'll get a pic when i see it again. Thank you all 4 the advice.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Gave her another soak tonight, big poop. As far as her peeling skin goes, there is no difference and i did put more anti bacterial cream on the area. I also have a tortoise table that's open, i burn wood to heat my house all winter so my house is very dry in the winter. I constantly mist down her enclosure but the humidity doesn't ever get above 40. I have sphagnum moss in her hide but it drys very fast, could that be an issue? Once the weather brakes she'll get to spend her summer outdoors i can wait til spring.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Would it be possible to cover her table with a shower curtain or something to hold in some humidity? I'm sure it will help if you can get that humidity up. I run a humidifier all winter here because of the try air.

ohio

5 Year Member
NEOhio
Never thought of that i will give it a try and give you an update, I won't use a shower curtain plastic because i read there is a lot of chemicals in them but i do have some none odorless plastic i can try. Thank you.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I've seen people make frames from bent plastic tubing or even fiberglass tent poles to keep the plastic from heating up on the lights. You can even run a humidifier into the box if you need to in order to keep the humidity up.

With her skin like it is I would aim for not having the top layer of substrate very moist since it can encourage bacterial growth, but a lot of people will pour water in the corners to help raise the humidity without making a swamp.