SHED IDEA FOR JOY AMONG OTHERS

Status
Not open for further replies.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Joy .... finally thought I'd show you this .....and some other set ups for ideas .......
There was a time I needed a set up that was water tight, quick n easy ....Rubbermaid to the rescue-:p Here is an example of a Rubbermaid shed with complete misting system , shelf’s , lighting ect...
Worked very well for the time needed.....I even had a several females who laid successfully in there.
redshousebest_zpsef14036c.jpg
torthutinside_zpsbaaa9479.jpg
Rhut6_zpsd1936b40.jpg

an outside " quick connect" for the misting system....
mistfitting_zpsf50956f2.jpg
mist1_zps75cdf17e.jpg

3 Section tort set up.....
torthabitat1_zps0f6e8c82.jpg
torthabitat2_zpsd6c9b692.jpg
tortscondo3_zpsee16b6d6.jpg
redshut1_zps62c7395d.jpg
tortscondo2_zps199c879b.jpg

This large Dog~loo was buried 4' down and then covered in light-wieght volcanac rock....had a dirt ramp all the way down ....
tortscondo1_zps1bfce276.jpg

complete wired in' with blacked-out wire
torthabitat8_zps6919f5af.jpg

Or course Harley's Hut !
p1010405_zps12f12455.jpg
p1010416_zps2be68c3e.jpg

A heated hide for the boss at work ....
KingsCage_zpsf2d8176e.jpg
KingsCage2_zps3d758ce3.jpg

and the Cove' Today .......
xs22.jpg

JD~:)

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Those are amazing photos of the progression of your tortoise "cove". I love love love all the detail. In the one enclosure that has two two door openings, is that one insulated and what kind of heat/if any do you use? Thanks for posting all these photos. I am sure it will help a lot of others too. :cool:

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Harleys hut is insulated .... on the coffen type there is no insulation ...although it's made from 1" 3/8 hollow core doors there is a dead air space inbetwen that actually helps with R- value ( retaining heat) . Both setups have heat and light .....using CHE and a low wattage UVB.
build3.jpg

If I had to use a Rubbermaide shed again...here is a tip . Home Depot /Lowes .. has a premade insulated panels ( foil backed both sides) 3'x5' . Very easy to cut with razor knife and can be glued to the sides of the Rubbermaid shed with ease. I would definitely use the panels as the vinyl/plastic the sheds are made of ,, are not that well suited for retaining heat…..

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Always love your pics of your torts. Now, love your pics of your sheds too. I need you to come visit the big city of Chicago. I need your building and decorating talent. I'm not bad at design, need help executing.
What do you think is best. Building tort house from scratch with wood and insulation or using one of the Rubbermaid sheds and adding the insulation and whatever else to it? I had planned on building my own from scratch. But wondering if I could get the same thing, by starting out with most of it done for me with the Rubbermaid?
Thanks for sharing your great pics

Yellow Turtle

5 Year Member
Indonesia
You indeed bring joy watching your beautiful shed. Keep them coming please.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
wellington said:
Always love your pics of your torts. Now, love your pics of your sheds too. I need you to come visit the big city of Chicago. I need your building and decorating talent. I'm not bad at design, need help executing.
What do you think is best. Building tort house from scratch with wood and insulation or using one of the Rubbermaid sheds and adding the insulation and whatever else to it? I had planned on building my own from scratch. But wondering if I could get the same thing, by starting out with most of it done for me with the Rubbermaid?

Well Barb never been to the windy city ....;) Matter of fact, only out East once to build a tattoo shop on the outskirts of Branson Mo. in my younger days ......Thanks for the kuddo's ...I do enjoy building and pretend to do artwork :p
For your shed question here are a few things to consider......
-Rubbermaid or similar -
Lets look at some Pro .....
Time efficient ( built in an hour)
Water tight
NO Decay or wood rot ( in your area ....a factor)
Easy to clean ....( removing all substrate ) and Keep sterile ( wood , hides bacteria and fungus ...even after what you think "was cleaned")
Can Be removed/transported to different location
Cost isn’t all that bad with Sams Club and Costco has like the one pictured about 300-400 bucks
Con's...
Limited to Size or shall we say .... "their designs" ( but heck my middle name is Dr. Alter :p )
Would /Should the walls be insulated as described above. The thin vinyl does not have a good R-value
Not really anything bad ......actually and most important GO AS BIG AS YOU CAN......
4x8 is the bare minimum ( and that’s actually much too small)

Build your own ….
Pro’s
The sky is the limit …….along with your building skills and wallet size~
Reflections of one’s self and not a “ store bought” item/ Custom

Con’s…..
Time….

Laurie said:
Looks great! I like that you got him setup with ADT :D

yup he has his own arsenal too.........:p

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
How much will it cost me to hire you to come out and custom build one for me?;)

N2TORTS said:
wellington said:

Well Barb never been to the windy city ....;) Matter of fact, only out East once to build a tattoo shop on the outskirts of Branson Mo. in my younger days ......Thanks for the kuddo's ...I do enjoy building and pretend to do artwork :p
For your shed question here are a few things to consider......
-Rubbermaid or similar -
Lets look at some Pro .....
Time efficient ( built in an hour)
Water tight
NO Decay or wood rot ( in your area ....a factor)
Easy to clean ....( removing all substrate ) and Keep sterile ( wood , hides bacteria and fungus ...even after what you think "was cleaned")
Can Be removed/transported to different location
Cost isn’t all that bad with Sams Club and Costco has like the one pictured about 300-400 bucks
Con's...
Limited to Size or shall we say .... "their designs" ( but heck my middle name is Dr. Alter :p )
Would /Should the walls be insulated as described above. The thin vinyl does not have a good R-value
Not really anything bad ......actually and most important GO AS BIG AS YOU CAN......
4x8 is the bare minimum ( and that’s actually much too small)

Build your own ….
Pro’s
The sky is the limit …….along with your building skills and wallet size~
Reflections of one’s self and not a “ store bought” item/ Custom

Con’s…..
Time….

Laurie said:
Looks great! I like that you got him setup with ADT :D

yup he has his own arsenal too.........:p

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Sibi.....I'm in So Cal. where you located ?

Julius25

5 Year Member
France
incredible you really did a great job !!!
Your torts must be in paradise :)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
JD, I really love your dedication and creativity. Looks great!

Tropical Torts

10 Year Member!
Northwest FL
Super cool dude, props to you for your creative building skills from all the way over here on the east coast!! How does your misting system work?

Status
Not open for further replies.