She is afraid of live food.

Status
Not open for further replies.

tignish99

5 Year Member
I have offered my 6 month old cherry head a silkworm or butterworm on a couple of occasions. She seems interested and comes to investigate, but then seems frightened when her food moves. She actually jumped the first time I offered her a silkworm. She stares at it for a long time and then walks away, and then comes back again and stares at it again. This can go on for a couple of hours. Has anyone else come across this? It is quite amusing to watch her.:D Will she eventually eat live prey? I would prefer to go the natural route instead of cat food or chicken. Plus it keeps her mentally busy.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Broomfield, Colorado
tignish99 said:
I have offered my 6 month old cherry head a silkworm or butterworm on a couple of occasions. She seems interested and comes to investigate, but then seems frightened when her food moves. She actually jumped the first time I offered her a silkworm. She stares at it for a long time and then walks away, and then comes back again and stares at it again. This can go on for a couple of hours. Has anyone else come across this? It is quite amusing to watch her.:D Will she eventually eat live prey? I would prefer to go the natural route instead of cat food or chicken. Plus it keeps her mentally busy.

My box turtles used to love attacking live prey, but my redfoot tortoise, who was almost as omnivorous, was not as predatory. She did like eating slugs and snails, but she didn't seem to like chasing after other invertebrates as much as my boxies did. In fact, somewhat like your redfoot, when I offered mine earthworms, she seemed to be frightened of their wriggling. Redfoots and box turtles both like to scavenge carrion (animal carcasses), but when it comes to active hunting, that seems to be more in the realm of box turtles than tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.