She came out on her own...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weda737

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
What a pleasant surprise. I just got her settled in and she's already out of the hide box and stretched out, with half her body resting in the water. It's 80*F, I don't think she got too hot, she has her head rested on a small rock I have in there and she just yawned real big. She just seems so comfortable... I've never experienced a snake like this. I've had ball pythons before and they are shy snakes, I've read Dumerils are shy too. Very shy. Maybe this species is on the higher end of the intelligence spectrum. She has been surprising from the very start. I really think she has gears turning in her beefy little head. Besides the "omg my people moved now I'm gonna eat" gear.
012-3.jpg

She's still resting like this. Just chillin out.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Why is she staying in her water bowl???

Floof

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Constantly soaking in her water dish could mean she's dehydrated from the trip, but it can also be a sign of mites. Keep an eye out, and maybe consider treating her and her enclosure with a mite treatment to be safe. Also be careful with the proximity to the rest of your snakes... It's generally recommended to quarantine new snakes in a separate room, or at least on the other side of the room, and to use a completely separate set of tools (i.e. feeding tongs) for the new snake to help prevent the transfer of disease and parasites. With the rest of the snakes being right there next to/on top of her, you'll want to be VERY careful. First, any mites will very easily climb out of her tank and into the others'. Secondly, it's very easy to be tending to her then unthinkingly go right to the next snake in line without washing your hands or any tools (i.e. feeding tongs) you used with her, making it very easy to accidentally spread any internal parasites or illnesses she may be harboring to the rest of your snakes.

Always, always, always practice proper quarantine. Snakes can carry some nasty, devastating parasites and diseases, and even the best, most reputable breeder can sell you a sick/infested snake without realizing it.

StudentoftheReptile

5 Year Member
Alabama
Floof said:
Constantly soaking in her water dish could mean she's dehydrated from the trip, but it can also be a sign of mites. Keep an eye out, and maybe consider treating her and her enclosure with a mite treatment to be safe. Also be careful with the proximity to the rest of your snakes... It's generally recommended to quarantine new snakes in a separate room, or at least on the other side of the room, and to use a completely separate set of tools (i.e. feeding tongs) for the new snake to help prevent the transfer of disease and parasites. With the rest of the snakes being right there next to/on top of her, you'll want to be VERY careful. First, any mites will very easily climb out of her tank and into the others'. Secondly, it's very easy to be tending to her then unthinkingly go right to the next snake in line without washing your hands or any tools (i.e. feeding tongs) you used with her, making it very easy to accidentally spread any internal parasites or illnesses she may be harboring to the rest of your snakes.

Always, always, always practice proper quarantine. Snakes can carry some nasty, devastating parasites and diseases, and even the best, most reputable breeder can sell you a sick/infested snake without realizing it.

Ditto. It can take at least 30 days for really noticeable symptoms to manifest, and by that time, the illness/virus/parasite infestation is serious.

Mites alone are a big PITA, and reason enough for quarantine.

Status
Not open for further replies.