Sharing care info on Rhinoclemmys Rubida

prosteven

10 Year Member!
Just wondering who else here is keeping Rhinoclemmys rubidas?

I have a few pairs I aquired recently and I'm hoping to share and learn care info, set up pictures etc with other keepers, so we can provide good care for these awesome turtles. There's not much info online on them

Thanks.
Steven G.
20160115_122811.jpg

Last edited:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
That's an awfully pretty turtle. I'm hoping to see this thread become active with pictures and info.

juli11

5 Year Member
Europe
Hi pretty cool Steve! It's important to breed this species. I wanted to start keeping this species but I finished my school this year so I haven't got money at the moment to pay 1600€ for an baby.
Could you share some pictures of your enclosure and of your animals?

Turtlepete

South Florida
Quite rare in captivity, unfortunately I doubt you'll find much information on these guys. Hope you have success breeding them, they need it.

jpeck425

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Michigan
Hi Steven,
We're you ever able to find out more info on the Rubida? I am picking up a trio this weekend and like you, have not found a lot of people with experience on this species. How are yours doing?
Thanks
Jeff Peck

jonathan gray

5 Year Member
I see you started this post in 2016 and there have been very few responses since. How are your rubida doing? I will be acquiring a 1.2 group shortly and am looking for all the information, husbandry tips, etc. I can get. How are they doing for you?
Thanks!

Ed Lukacevic

Kentucky
I see you started this post in 2016 and there have been very few responses since. How are your rubida doing? I will be acquiring a 1.2 group shortly and am looking for all the information, husbandry tips, etc. I can get. How are they doing for you?
Thanks!
I’ve got a small group I’m working with, they are doing well but are still a little small to breed.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I’ve got a small group I’m working with, they are doing well but are still a little small to breed.
I would love it if you were to post pictures of your group in their enclosure!

And @prosteven how about an update on this thread?

Ed Lukacevic

Kentucky
I would love it if you were to post pictures of your group in their enclosure!
The enclosures are nothing fancy, exo terra tanks with bio active substrate, lots of cork bark to hide. It looks like I have one definite male an 4 females. I keep orange head cockroach in with them and the breed and grow and the turtles eat them along with giant meal worms. They also eat greens, love apples and these they will chase down and eat out of my hand. I have some that also eat turtle pellets.
And @prosteven how about an update on this thread?

91C1F9C0-6EFD-4FFF-98BB-BFDA55E1D6D7.jpeg 81DE7C0B-0431-4DC3-9285-DE8EF182BBE0.jpeg 2CDA134F-1DFC-4ACE-9B5D-1E13D030F398.jpeg 8BC6F6DC-C30A-4F35-AE9B-8460867EFD1E.jpeg 0B84178D-DFB1-40D6-812C-8733A149AF09.jpeg 7095B128-8B36-46C1-B857-F1CDDBCC2B2E.jpeg E99956C5-EE43-4146-9E7C-B672E9AB4E09.jpeg A523DFB9-E9F3-4122-A8ED-480D67F5753F.jpeg

Ed Lukacevic

Kentucky
I’ve had them for a while and they took a little bit to settle in. I’ve heard mixed things on how to keep them. One said wet the other dry. I do both by soaking them down and letting them dry out. They were pretty shy at first but now nothing terrible. They remind me a little of bog turtles. I need to build a few enclosures and separate them because they can be aggressive to each other sometimes but nothing horrible. I’ve not done any cycling of them yet but I think I will start with some nigh-time temp drops. I’d love to find some more perixantha and rubida rubida. image.jpg

Ed Lukacevic

Kentucky
image.jpg This is my latest female. Please excuse the mess we are I. The middle of remodeling the office so the tanks are out in the warehouse.

Ed Lukacevic

Kentucky
I should say these are not rubida rubida but rubida perixantha.

The enclosures are nothing fancy, exo terra tanks with bio active substrate, lots of cork bark to hide. It looks like I have one definite male an 4 females. I keep orange head cockroach in with them and the breed and grow and the turtles eat them along with giant meal worms. They also eat greens, love apples and these they will chase down and eat out of my hand. I have some that also eat turtle pellets.