Sharing a Sad Moment!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I am sure you all know from my threads that I have had a couple clutches of Leopards from January's clutch and the one in the first week of March. Well I just sent one to Ohio overnight and my customer had been waiting weeks for her. Well I finally sent her and she arrived yesterday. She arrived as guaranteed and was eating and active all day. Well she e-mailed me this morning to tell me that she put her setup on the floor by her bed and was getting ready at 5:30 am when she thought she had closed the door, but it must not have latched closed as she came out to find her dog has the baby Leopard in her mouth. She sustained two puncture marks, one of the scutes was lifted and now tissue is exposed. She contacted a vet (she said she wasn't sure if he was a herp vet or not) and the vet told her it wasn't going to make it. He kept it throughout the day and put it on a potty pad and then outlined the body with a pencil and she hasn't moved. She eyes are closed and she is limp. There has been no movement and she was kept under a light all day. She went this evening and picked her leo up and the vet said if there was no movement by morning, then she should go ahead and bury her leo. What a sad moment, but wanted to share as it's a lesson I hope we all learn from. Dogs love things that move around and with a blink of this lady's eye, her baby leo is injured. With having dog(s), whether they are aloud in your bedroom or not, I would have suggest keeping on a high table/dresser/etc just in case the dog got in the room. Honestly, I am quite saddened as I take such great care, love, and attachment to my torts and their offspring that I just had her two days ago and she was doing so well and now she' about to pass. We have been talking back and forth all day and mourning together. Thanks for listening!!:tort: I am hoping by sharing this it is a great lesson on how crucial it is to separate baby torts from dogs

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
That's heartbreaking, Christy. I'm sure the regrets are getting to both of you. I hope if she decides to buy another tortoise, she takes her dog's normal behavior into account.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
I am sorry for you both, it is a good lesson to anyone that keep other animals with there torts, anything can happen. Thank you for sharing and again, so sorry to hear what has happened...

zoogrl

5 Year Member
Missouri
I am so sorry for you both :( It is definately important to take every precation when you have torts & dogs in the same house. My thoughts will be with you both, I'm so sorry.

OllieInAZ

5 Year Member
Tempe, AZ
That's so sad. What an awful feeling that must be to have one loved pet injure another.

My condolences to you both.

Charles

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Sorry to hear that - not easy to lose any pets.

I don't trust our minpin around our tortoise. She is very curious about the tortoise but we don't let her get too close.

TebowHammer

5 Year Member
Georgia
So sorry to hear that, Christy. I know it's hard on both parties.

Just remember, time heals all wounds.

Keeping you in my thoughts,

Squirtle Time

5 Year Member
Virginia
I'm really sorry to hear that. My heart goes out to you and the owner. For the summer I will be staying with my family, who own a dog, and I will make sure to elevate Squirtle's home during that time. Thank you for the warning.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ugh... So sorry. Baby leopards are so precious...

I just find this sort of thing so frustrating. If I feel this bad about it, I can't imagine how bad you must feel.

TortieLuver

5 Year Member
Arizona
Thank you everyone for your wonderful thoughts and sharing this time with me. This is by far the hardest issue with making the decision to breed tortoises. It's easy to love and care for your tortoises and their offspring, but wondering what happens to them after you give them to another person can be hard to swallow. I want to share my love for tortoises with others and always give care sheets and life-long aftercare, and although I screen people, you aren't guaranteed they will take the same care. And sometimes mistakes just happen and it also becomes a sad loss. With breeding tortoises, I find myself and my kids always wanting to keep all of them too lol.

Thanks Squirtle time for utilizing this thread to further evaluate your tortoise's setup while staying with family who has a dog.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
that is sad to hear, I am sure both of you are heart broken, hopefully some lessons can be learned here, and future pain avoided.

Y

YaekoCubr1501

Really a sad thing for any tortoise lover...
It's a good lesson for all off us but still it required to avoid the future issues.

Cherbear

5 Year Member
Ohio
Oh, that's heartbreaking. I don't own a dog, but that's why I keep a screen lid on my outdoor enclosure, just in case a stray dog or anything else would happen to come into the yard. Sorry you both have to go through this.

Status
Not open for further replies.