Share your story of your rescue tortoises!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, Arizona, USA
TortyTom said:
Well, I got my Sulcata (Darwin) about 8 months ago. I was walking up my driveway and noticed one of my not so friendly neighbors holding something in his hands and walking towards the big ditch across from our neighborhood. Me being the nosy guy I am, I walked across the street to see what he had. It was a small sulcata tortoise. He was about to toss it into a ditch full of rough water. He said he got it for his son about a week before but the son grew tired of it and wanted to get a lizard instead. Can you believe this? I told him that this was a land tortoise and if he threw it in the water, it would most definitely die. He didn't seem to care and started going through the motion to toss the little guy in, so I got a little stern and said give me the darn (not that word) tortoise. He looked at me funny and said it's a boring pet that doesn't do anything as he handed it to me. I asked what he knew about it and he only told me the guy at the pet shop said it was 8 months old. I had never had anything other then Box turtles as a child (but always wanted a sulcata) Luckily I stumbled across this forum and Toms threads and all turned out well. Here is a pic from then and one now!

he was raised BEAUTIFULLY, almost no pyramiding at all. good job.

Chive On!

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
I agree this is an awesome thread!!! I don't have a good story myself ("rescued" my tort from Petco, the end) but I love hearing everyone else's!

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
well, i have a second rescue story as it is official that i will be able to save the poor guy. he is about an eight-inch-long Leopard Tortoise, was told he is about six years old. this young boy (i think) is in a topless rubbermaid tub, substrate is rabbit pellets, no water, fed romaine lettuce all six years, used to be soaked once a week but then it ceased, had bugs of all sorts in his tub (none of which were pill bugs), his plastron is soft, severely pyramided, way underweight, no strength whatsoever. im sure theres more but i just cant remember it all. in the next day or two he will be picked up and properly cared for by myself. lets hope he makes it.

Chive On!

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
nate.mann said:
well, i have a second rescue story as it is official that i will be able to save the poor guy. he is about an eight-inch-long Leopard Tortoise, was told he is about six years old. this young boy (i think) is in a topless rubbermaid tub, substrate is rabbit pellets, no water, fed romaine lettuce all six years, used to be soaked once a week but then it ceased, had bugs of all sorts in his tub (none of which were pill bugs), his plastron is soft, severely pyramided, way underweight, no strength whatsoever. im sure theres more but i just cant remember it all. in the next day or two he will be picked up and properly cared for by myself. lets hope he makes it.

Chive On!

Joining this thread kind of late...so, did you pick up the little guy??

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

nate.mann

5 Year Member
Glendale, Arizona, USA
Jabuticaba said:
nate.mann said:

Chive On!

Joining this thread kind of late...so, did you pick up the little guy??

May[CHERRY BLOSSOM], Hermann's [TURTLE][TURTLE] & Aussie [DOG FACE][DOG FACE][DOG FACE] (@YWG)

i did on saturday, heres a link to the thread i started for him, http://www.tortoiseforum.org/showthread.php?tid=78192

0.1.0 Russian Tortoise
0.0.1 Leopard Tortoise
Chive On!

Status
Not open for further replies.