Share Pics Of All Your Weeds!!

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ocala, Fl
As tortoise owners we have to take advantage of allll the different weeds around us, and it is so much fun to go out and get so many different types to feed your tortoise/s. I want to see some pics of all the different weeds you guys gather!! Here are a couple pics of some weeds I get. I'd love to see all yours!
IMG_2002 (1).jpgIMG_2003.jpgIMG_2234 (1).JPG

Last edited:

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
It would be great if you both posted similar threads in the sticky “The Tortoise Chef” at the top of the diet subforum. These are both great examples of things people look for there!

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
It would be great if you both posted similar threads in the sticky “The Tortoise Chef” at the top of the diet subforum. These are both great examples of things people look for there!
Oh wow okay! Should I remake this same thread but over there or what? Thanks!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Oh wow okay! Should I remake this same thread but over there or what? Thanks!
Dang, I didn’t word that well. The Tortoise Chef is already a thread so you can only make individual posts there but that’s the point, a bunch of us showing what we feed, rather than users asking if a certain plant is safe or how often to feed, that kind of thing. One of the things it is intended to do is to give new users some instruction and confidence, and I believe it is successful at that.

Keep this thread going, while it’s in front of people and catching interest; I love threads like this. The benefit to posting your own ”menu” in the Chef thread is that that one is permanently stickied up top and your food items will get more views over time. Photos are great, saying where you got the plants is great. And always say what kind of tortoise(s) you’re feeding!

Thanks for considering!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
This area of Central California gets little rain, and most of the time it's hot and dry. This past winter we had more rain than usual and the weeds have grown WILD!!

Last year I stopped watering the back yard. I live alone and the yard is only used for Misty's morning and evening constitutionals. I got tired of watering and mowing something for the dog to use as her bathroom. So naturally, because there's no grass to choke out the weeds, it's a terrible mess:

weeds a.jpg
Weeds g.jpg

A few years ago I bought some elephant grass seeds online and planted them in Dudley's yard. As luck would have it, there is NO elephant grass in Dudleys yard, the yard of the tortoise that comes from where elephant grass grows naturally. But there IS elephant grass in the YF, Radiata, box turtle and leopard yards. The YF tortoises love to shelter under it next to the roots, and it's great in the leopard yards. It spreads like wildfire!

Weeds h.jpgWeeds j.jpg
Weeds h.jpg

My driveway:

weeds b.jpg

The driveway to the barn:

weeds c.jpg

Outside the box turtle yard:

weeds d.jpg

The horse paddock:

weeds e.jpg

The pond area:

Weeds i.jpg

Dudley's yard:

Weeds k.jpg

The SA leopards' savannah:

Weeds l.jpg

I've been working at chopping it all down with my weedeater a little bit every morning. At this rate I may have it all chopped down by Halloween!

MichaelL

5 Year Member
Ocala, Fl
This area of Central California gets little rain, and most of the time it's hot and dry. This past winter we had more rain than usual and the weeds have grown WILD!!

Last year I stopped watering the back yard. I live alone and the yard is only used for Misty's morning and evening constitutionals. I got tired of watering and mowing something for the dog to use as her bathroom. So naturally, because there's no grass to choke out the weeds, it's a terrible mess:

View attachment 293568
View attachment 293574

A few years ago I bought some elephant grass seeds online and planted them in Dudley's yard. As luck would have it, there is NO elephant grass in Dudleys yard, the yard of the tortoise that comes from where elephant grass grows naturally. But there IS elephant grass in the YF, Radiata, box turtle and leopard yards. The YF tortoises love to shelter under it next to the roots, and it's great in the leopard yards. It spreads like wildfire!

View attachment 293575View attachment 293577
View attachment 293575

My driveway:

View attachment 293569

The driveway to the barn:

View attachment 293570

Outside the box turtle yard:

View attachment 293571

The horse paddock:

View attachment 293572

The pond area:

View attachment 293576

Dudley's yard:

View attachment 293578

The SA leopards' savannah:

View attachment 293579

I've been working at chopping it all down with my weedeater a little bit every morning. At this rate I may have it all chopped down by Halloween!
LOVE it!!! Some of those weeds are enormous!!!

Peggy Sue

5 Year Member
Grants Pass Oregon
Here is what I gathered for Sheldon this morning I pick them and put them in a spring mix clam shell and keep them in his fridge. It’s a mix of dandelion, grass, wild geraniums, mallow wild mustard. 9C0A4984-EE17-4D23-9ED6-1FF11B9C70FE.jpeg