Shade Cloth

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
I recently got a job after being home for five years. That means I won’t be spraying my tortoises down during the day and dumping and refilling their waters during the day. I had bought them these shade cloths on sale during the summer for $16 each. I just hadn’t gotten around to using them. Today, I started putting them up over the most used water containers. I checked later and the temp was at least 10° cooler under it. Now I need to move the water dish so it’s under it most of the day.

Attachments

• F63FA111-13B0-4676-8F09-4741597E2E74.jpeg
    F63FA111-13B0-4676-8F09-4741597E2E74.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 40

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I mounted my main enclosure on the side of my house that gets the least sun.
The plants also ad to the shade. As do the lattice walls.
There are also PVC pipes overhead with sprinkler nozzles so that I can make it rain whenever I want.

Attachments

• image_01.png
    image_01.png
    333.7 KB · Views: 24

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I recently got a job after being home for five years. That means I won’t be spraying my tortoises down during the day and dumping and refilling their waters during the day. I had bought them these shade cloths on sale during the summer for $16 each. I just hadn’t gotten around to using them. Today, I started putting them up over the most used water containers. I checked later and the temp was at least 10° cooler under it. Now I need to move the water dish so it’s under it most of the day.
Love that hide planter.
Seeing you won't be home be sure to put out more then one or if one gets tipped over. You could also sink them into the ground so they can't be tipped.
This way if one gets muddy or tipped they still have a clean one thats not tipped..

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Shade cloth or large outdoor umbrellas have never panned out for me.
Even a run of the mill south Florida thunderstorm can whip up enough wind to shred them. Or send them a mile down the road.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Love that hide planter.
Seeing you won't be home be sure to put out more then one or if one gets tipped over. You could also sink them into the ground so they can't be tipped.
This way if one gets muddy or tipped they still have a clean one thats not tipped..
They have more that aren't pictured. They are around the turns.

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
Shade cloth or large outdoor umbrellas have never panned out for me.
Even a run of the mill south Florida thunderstorm can whip up enough wind to shred them. Or send them a mile down the road.
I was afraid of this. I didn't want to spend a lot on them in case they were destroyed quickly. The umbrellas were already tried and destroyed. They lasted a while (1.5 years) but only because I would run outside and close them. I thought I'd try these next before building a wooden shade that has posts buried in the ground. We get pretty bad thunderstorms here as well.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I love that enclosure and have been wondering about you in general. Sapphire needs something like that also. Our back yard gets so hot I have to wait for the sun to get almost above the house to put him outside.?

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
did you buy that hide planter or make it? I love it!
Thank you! We made it. We used a culvert with the bottom cut out so they can lay on the cool dirt. We then used landscaping timbers to build a frame around it, filled it with dirt, and planted things.