Sexing red-foots??

Status
Not open for further replies.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
I have 2 red foot that do not know the sex of either one of them. Both are about 8yrs old and reaching 12inches.

1248308947.jpg

First one, guessing its a female

1248308945.jpg

Second, also belive its a female

If you need other pics of the tortises in order to sex them, then let me know.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Alhambra, CA
theguy67 said:
Candy said:
I would definetly say you have two females. :)

Ok, but just to make sure i have another pic.

Photo14.jpg

for comparison
The one on the right is questionable. Hopefully Danny or Madkins will jump in let you know. The tail on the one on the right looks a lot bigger, but it's hard to tell because the pictures been cut off.

theguy67

10 Year Member!
[/quote]
The one on the right is questionable. Hopefully Danny or Madkins will jump in let you know. The tail on the one on the right looks a lot bigger, but it's hard to tell because the pictures been cut off.
[/quote]

Yes thats what i am unsure of, but the tail dose continue down for a few cem.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
I've learned on this forum that the males have thicker longer tails then the females.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
They are both females :D You were right the first time Candy :p

Danny

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
egyptiandan said:
They are both females :D You were right the first time Candy :p

Danny

Yes! I feel really good about this because through you guys knowledge I am learning. Thanks. :D

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Going on just tail size with Redfoots it can be tricky.. so the 'anal scutes' and flat plastron is the dead giveaway on those 2 ---- at 12" especially!

See here..

ANALSCUTEID.jpg

Close-up of MALE anal scutes..

ANALSCUTESEXING3.jpg

BTW.. the female above was coming up on 6 in that pic.

Terry K

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
:)
Redfoot NERD said:
Going on just tail size with Redfoots it can be tricky.. so the 'anal scutes' and flat plastron is the dead giveaway on those 2 ---- at 12" especially!

See here..

ANALSCUTEID.jpg

Close-up of MALE anal scutes..

ANALSCUTESEXING3.jpg

BTW.. the female above was coming up on 6 in that pic.

Terry K

Thanks Terry I had forgot about that point.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
The main checkpoints for Red-foots (and possibly Yellow-foots as well?) are:

TAIL- long, carried wrapped around= male. Short, often exposed or wagged= female

ANAL OPENING (the gap between the points of the anal scutes and the marginals)- wide gap = free movement of tail = male. Narrow gap = limited tail movement = female.

ANAL SCUTE ANGLE (the angle of the opening the tail pokes out of)- If the anal opening is bout 90 degrees, it is a female. If the angle is very wide, like almost a straight line across, it is a male.

SHELL SHAPE- males have strongly indented plastrons, and the males from the northern range have the classic 'wasp waist'.

Sometimes things get 'iffy', so the more things we can use to check, the better.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Madkins007 said:
The main checkpoints for Red-foots (and possibly Yellow-foots as well?) are:

TAIL- long, carried wrapped around= male. Short, often exposed or wagged= female

ANAL OPENING (the gap between the points of the anal scutes and the marginals)- wide gap = free movement of tail = male. Narrow gap = limited tail movement = female.

ANAL SCUTE ANGLE (the angle of the opening the tail pokes out of)- If the anal opening is bout 90 degrees, it is a female. If the angle is very wide, like almost a straight line across, it is a male.

SHELL SHAPE- males have strongly indented plastrons, and the males from the northern range have the classic 'wasp waist'.

Sometimes things get 'iffy', so the more things we can use to check, the better.

Madkins, does the wasp waist mean the same as shaped like a peanut? You know where both sides go inward. Because Dale is just like that. He looks like a peanut shape from the top if you're looking down at him. Your right the more information we can put out there for people the better they can learn and pass on to others. Thanks. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.