Sexing My New Tortoise

emctaylor

Location (City and/or State)
Tennessee
Hello, I just bought another tortoise. I’m curious of the sex. I have a thought of what it could be, but I’m curious to know if I’m correct. Could anyone confirm? It is a red foot. Thank you! image.jpg

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
I will say......Female. I can be wrong, because I can't see the full tail when it tucked-in.

And, Welcome to the forum.

Sa Ga

MN
It's either a girl or a boy. If you pair the critter with a known male and it later lays eggs, it's likely a girl. ?

Plastron seems pretty flat and someone told me (at least in Russian torts) the females tend to have a more "v" shaped plastron by the tail for egg-laying. My vote would be a little lady.

Last edited:

Macca33

MN
Hello, I just bought another tortoise. I’m curious of the sex. I have a thought of what it could be, but I’m curious to know if I’m correct. Could anyone confirm? It is a red foot. Thank you!
Based on research and photos I've seen, this appears to be a female- flat plastron and "C" or "U"-shaped scutes under the tail.... a male would have a concave plastron and straighter scutes just below the tail... and a much longer tail in general.

Sa Ga

MN
Based on research and photos I've seen, this appears to be a female- flat plastron and "C" or "U"-shaped scutes under the tail.... a male would have a concave plastron and straighter scutes just below the tail... and a much longer tail in general.
Ok, fine....a "C" or "U", not a "V" then, Mac! ? (just kidding!)

You don't want a "Z" or "Q" at any rate! Lol

Macca33

MN
Ok, fine....a "C" or "U", not a "V" then, Mac! ? (just kidding!)

You don't want a "Z" or "Q" at any rate! Lol
....after some consideration, I'll agree with you. A "V" is much more apt! lol

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Looking female but still too young I think.

willee638

HK
Hello, I just bought another tortoise. I’m curious of the sex. I have a thought of what it could be, but I’m curious to know if I’m correct. Could anyone confirm? It is a red foot. Thank you! View attachment 286919
From all the charts, pictures & videos for reference every indication points to it being a female. I have a small red foot tortoise myself & it has the exact identical characteristics of a female as well despite all the experienced keepers insisting you can't differentiate them before their reach 8-9 years of age. Unless their carapaces & plastrons changes drastically over time with maturity, I can't see how you can be completely wrong.

willee638

HK
Hello, I just bought another tortoise. I’m curious of the sex. I have a thought of what it could be, but I’m curious to know if I’m correct. Could anyone confirm? It is a red foot. Thank you! View attachment 286919
Every indication it's a girl, but I'm still trying to find out what's the sex of my baby red foot & despite looking at charts, pictures & reading about the characteristics of both sexes but not even the pet shop can tell, what if I did the dreaded unthinkable of every tortoise owners of ending up with both males raising together.