Sex..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortoiselover518

5 Year Member
I've had my Russian tortoise, Snickers for a while. I still haven't an idea whether he is male or female. Does his/her tail tell a tale? It's short and stubby

Attachments

• image-280579629.png
    image-280579629.png
    1 MB · Views: 80
  • image-2396603028.png
    image-2396603028.png
    913.2 KB · Views: 75
  • image-4262728270.png
    image-4262728270.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 62

mainey34

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Peoria, Arizona
5 months is too early. The pics you posted are really hard for me to see. Next time please show the entire plaston. Thank you...;)

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
I am guessing male based on what I see. My female's tail is like half of that length. She may be short tailed though. :D Also I am no expert in tortoise sexing.

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Hi! :) The pics are a little blurry, but that is definitely a male, without a doubt. It is much longer than what a female has, and skinny towards the end. Female tails are very short and stubby, and shaped like a wedge.

On a friendly side-note, whoever told you your tortoise is only 5 months old didn't know what they were talking about. His tail is fully developed and very much a male tail, and his face is far from being a 'baby face' any more, he is probably 10-15 years old at this point. But don't be disappointed, because RTs live longer than humans, so with good care, you'll have him for the rest of your life!
If you got him at the pet store, they always like to tell clients that they are buying a baby. Baby RTs are however just about 1-1.5 inches, and don't reach 4 inches size until they are 5+ years old. Males generally stay smaller than females. Here is a fun link that at the bottom has a line-up of RTs, hatchling to 4 years: http://russiantortoise.net/hatchling_care.htm

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Male unless the pics are deceiving, his tail looks big enough to tuck over his leg.

He is a handsome boy :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
biochemnerd808 said:
Hi! :) The pics are a little blurry, but that is definitely a male, without a doubt. It is much longer than what a female has, and skinny towards the end. Female tails are very short and stubby, and shaped like a wedge.

On a friendly side-note, whoever told you your tortoise is only 5 months old didn't know what they were talking about. His tail is fully developed and very much a male tail, and his face is far from being a 'baby face' any more, he is probably 10-15 years old at this point. But don't be disappointed, because RTs live longer than humans, so with good care, you'll have him for the rest of your life!
If you got him at the pet store, they always like to tell clients that they are buying a baby. Baby RTs are however just about 1-1.5 inches, and don't reach 4 inches size until they are 5+ years old. Males generally stay smaller than females. Here is a fun link that at the bottom has a line-up of RTs, hatchling to 4 years: http://russiantortoise.net/hatchling_care.htm

i have to agree :)

looks like an adult male to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.