Sex of Ornate Box Turtle?

Lyss

Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
Hello! This is my first post on this forum so please forgive me if I have made any mistakes! I have been trying to research the sex of my box turtle and have found it quite confusing. I believe it is a male, but I'm not entirely sure. Would someone with more knowledge mind helping me out and letting me know what they think? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG-6600.jpg
    IMG-6600.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG-6601.jpg
    IMG-6601.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG-6602.jpg
    IMG-6602.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 17

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Welcome Lyss!

What you have there appears to be a very pretty female!

If you have a better pic of the whole head, that would help confirm it -- females' heads stay brown, while mature males' heads are a green/yellow color. Male eyes are very deep brick-red all through the iris...females can have red flecks in their irises, and yours are very pale.

Legs: males tend to have more eye-catching red spots on their front legs, while females stay subtle brown.

The tail: there is a large bulge near the body, then the tail tip is very small - the whole tail looks kind of like an apple with its stem. The vent opening is puckered, with enough stretchy skin to pass eggs. Male tails are wider, longer, and stay meaty towards the tapered end (for gripping and balance during mating).

Body: as a generalization, mature females are larger and even longer; males stay more cobby and round.

This is my grumpy boy's yellow cap and red legs:

male ornata legs head.JPG

And this is his tail:

male ornate tail.jpg

Lyss

Ohio
Thank you for the warm welcome! I appreciate the detailed explaination and am very hapy to have a little female! I have sexed quite a few reptiles and have had no issues but couldn't seem to figure out this box turtle due to the eye color being mentioned all the time online, but that didn't sound like a sure bet to me. I appreacite you walking me through everything. :) Also, here is a pic ofher head. It is very brown.

Attachments

• IMG-6604.jpg
    IMG-6604.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 10

Lyss

Ohio
I also have a question regarding female turtle care. Will I be expecting her to lay eggs without a male around? I know aquatic turtles do this and I was curious if this was the same for female box turtles as well?

Lyss

Ohio
Ok! She hasn't laid anything for years supposedly so I won't worry about it too much. I'm taking her in for her first vet check this Saturday so I'm sure they'll catch anything else. Thanks for all the info!