sex, age, and type help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

inkling13

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
central NY
Hi everyone, I'm new here and rather new to tortoises too. I just got my tortoise about two months ago and I'm still on the fence on its sex. The previous owners were sure it was a male but from what I've seen online I'm kinda convinced its female. Either way I would like to have some more experienced opinions, especially before I pick out a name (the previous name was Tank so it jokingly been Tankerina for now but I'm not particularly fond of either).

Untitled by inkling13, on Flickr

Untitled by inkling13, on Flickr

She's doesn't really have an hourglass waist, her plastron is almost 100% flat and her tail really doesn't seem particularly large so all of that makes me think female.

I just measured her today at 6.5 inches and my scale weighed her in at 920g (that scale usually doesn't have to weigh more than 50g at a time tops for my geckos so I'm not sure if its 100% accurate there). I read on another post here someone who's tortoise was around 6 inches long and it was estimated at about 6 years old, is that a close approximation?

I'm also curious as to what type of red foot she is, I know she's not a cherry head but I'm not familiar enough with the types to be confident on identifying her beyond that.

Thanks in advance for any comments/opinions/advice!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Appears to be a female Venezuelan. These will stay smaller than Guyana and Suriname. 12" max. Ive got a 20 year old pair that's only 11" female 12" male. They keep the watermelon style shell unlike the slim waist Surinamese.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
At 6.5" you should be able to start making a good guess of the eventual sex, but it looks pretty female so far. Before 6" it is pretty tough with Northerns like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.