Severely Malformed Redfoot (Pic Heavy)

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Boiled chicken, boiled tilapia, mushrooms,home grown worms ,Beaf liver. All good proteins. This tortoise needs to have an xray if you haven't seen it poop or pee.Some times kidney stones will make them not use their back legs .
Wow! That didn't even cross my mind but it would make sense that OP likely doesn't know the elimination status. Definitely worth looking into. Thanks for bringing it up

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
They are not typically slow growers. This one is small. I have a 5 year old and his SCL was 9.5 inches last I checked.

Clear ocular discharge is probably just low humidity.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I had a very ill and weak Redfoot that had stopped using her back legs.
As she recovered and got stronger, she began lifting herself up a little at a time. Wobbly at first. But eventually regained most of her leg movement.
Get her healthy and watch. My guess (hope) is that she'll be fine.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Also, just my 2 cents, I think he is a lady. hopefully you can get her up and running again, they really are resilient.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/male-female.129934/

I think you may be right about that! I hadn't looked very critically at sex, yet.

We are back from the vet! Frankie (name she was surrendered with) has eliminated, so the vet isn't concerned enough about kidney stones to do an xray at this point. We'll revisit the possibility in a few weeks at her recheck. He thinks that most of her issues are down to lack of humidity and a severe vitamin deficiency, specifically A. He gave her an injection with Vites A, E & C. Now we are going to do lots of good food, hygrotherapy, and see where she is at in a couple of weeks!

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
We should of told you not to let a vet give vitamin A. This sometimes does more harm than good . I don't know why vets always try this . Keep a close eye on her.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
Luckily there doesn't seem to be any vitamin A toxicity going on. Her activity definitely picked up, she's eating a little, and I've seen her try to use her back legs a few times. Unfortunately there has been no repeat in urinating or defecating, so we're back to the vet for xrays tomorrow.

She spent several hours wading around in her water area (I use paint pans, in the outside enclosures), I was hoping she's go, but no such luck.

NudistApple

5 Year Member
Pittsburgh, PA
I took some crummy pictures of the xray with my cellphone. No uroliths, but no answers either. I'm worried about this kid. :/

Attachments

• xray1.jpg
    xray1.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 20
  • xray2.jpg
    xray2.jpg
    5.5 MB · Views: 20

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
Something to consider is that if a lot of food hasn't been going in a lot may not come out. Most of my rescue tortoises aren't regular for weeks and even then most of my tortoises pee daily but poop less frequently.

Having lots of room to move seems to help literally get things moving.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
They are slow to get sick but symptoms appear fast but by then it may be too late. The recovery is twice as long. She looks like she is still upbeat so I would be hopeful for her prognosis. Just get her eating healthy, right temps, right humidity and let it roll and hope the rear legs gain strength. I like the idea of the water/swim thing.