Setting up for TDSD Study 1st question - Humidity

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
Mark , you most likely have the book "turtles of the united states and Canada" ? this Packard guys research is written about under painted turtle in the reproduction section ...... along with a guy name Paukstis , he's done stuff similar to what you are looking to do ..... I think this Davis guy I quoted maybe assuming on his own that humidity has no influence on sex determination , as it is known to influences size of hatchlings and duration of incubation , both of which have been theorized to have an influence on sex determination ........

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Thanks for the link and comments, Mark. All the studies cited are, however for turtle, not tortoise eggs, and turtle eggs are quite different than tortoise eggs. The eggs of turtles are highly permeable, and I treat them differently than tortoise eggs. And, in particular, Platynota being a diapause species, brings a whole new set of circumstances no study I have found addresses at all on this. And many of the breeders that seem to have become most successful talk about totally dry substrate for breaking diapause periods, while others don't mention it at all. Also, I have interesting noted personally that tortoise eggs that tended towards a bit drier incubation (still 75%+ instead of 95%+) were actually a bit more robust hatchlings - for me at least, and no difference in incubation times. Most all of my sulcate eggs, for example, start hatching at day 86. So I am really becoming more of the opinion that tortoise eggs act much more differently than turtle eggs. Especially in respect to humidity.

The study you linked also is simply a proposal, with no results yet. I do appreciate the other studies that paper cites, though and understand that is the value I believe you were passing on to us. I am familiar with most of those as I have and do work quite a bit with turtle eggs. I find this proposed study a bit quizzical, though. Most of their hypothesize are centered around the questions of effects of pavement and fencing affecting nests, while nest site choice/placement for the female would normally negate most of the very things they are proposing to test.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
all those studies are infact for turtles , mostly painted turtles and snapping turtles , I do remember reading one for blanding's turtles , done right here in ohio , about the effects of the corn and soybeans growth on nest temps , and nest success or failure . i'm sure many of their conclusions are specie specific ............ I believe the Davis guy is basing his paper on the fact that the grade , clearing , gravel and dirt of roadsides attracts nesting turtles ........ roads do create a micro-climate around them , and i'm sure those micro-climates effect the outcome of nest .....as far as fencing , i'd guess the clearing needed for the fencing would create the same attraction roads do , power line clearings , or tilled soybean and corn field clearings .........

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1670/149-03N Pancake tortoise
https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/9e98/1b53d923bdb792b09bef3a57afc8e8112c67.pdf Gopher Tortoise
https://mdsoar.org/bitstream/handle/11603/4099/Zimmerman etal1994.pdf?sequence=1&isAllowed=y Desert tortoises

http://www.jstor.org/stable/3892200?seq=1#page_scan_tab_contents Temp and water potential, a more reliable way to quantify the role of water. Sorry guys there are no tortoises in Australia and that's where most of the really cool studies take place.