setting up a new make shift enclosure....help needed

HenleyT

Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
Ok so I'm setting up a make shift enclosure until I can get my bigger one completed and I realized that I don't know what I'm doing past buying all of the proper stuff, including the substrate.........:eek:....Where do I put the ceramic heat lamp (its 150w), how far away do I put it? The UBV light...does it go on the cool end or does it go over the hide? Where does the sphagnum moss go inside the hide or somewhere outside of the hide? and I will admit that I am very worried about putting Henley on damp ground.. and him staying warm.....I'm worried about respiratory problems, shell rot.....

I have soaked the the eco earth coconut fiber expandable blocks and placed them into the new large tub and it is damp....is this how it is suppose to be. I have the terracotta base for him to soak in. The flat stone for him to bask on. The slate for him to eat off of.....Where do I place the lights? The moss inside the hide or outside of the hide and is it damp (how damp) or dry? Is one side of the substrate drier than the other side? HELP HELP HELP:confused:

Leapin

The Eco Earth holds water and helps keep the humidity up. Since I started using it I've been able to keep the humidity within the 60-80% recommendation. I stir it up weekly and spray it down a lot - then I spray/mist a few times a day. You can get a thermometer and hydrometer combo to help regulate both temp and humidity. There is tons of info in the enclosure section. Good luck and have fun setting everything up!

HenleyT

Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
The Eco Earth holds water and helps keep the humidity up. Since I started using it I've been able to keep the humidity within the 60-80% recommendation. I stir it up weekly and spray it down a lot - then I spray/mist a few times a day. You can get a thermometer and hydrometer combo to help regulate both temp and humidity. There is tons of info in the enclosure section. Good luck and have fun setting everything up!
Thank you for your reply and encouraging words and support.....for caring about my confusion....I set it up and I'm pleased with it and so is Henley. I have realized that it is not big enough still but it is better than what Henley was in before. He loves it!!!! Now to start building my big indoor closure...Thanks once again for answering me.

Leapin

You're welcome! As for the lights- usually the side of the box shows you a temp range vs height. It's all a learning process. I'm making plans to build an indoor enclosure for my red foot, she getting a bit pissy in her temporary space. When she's done eating she pushes her food bowl into her water dish. Stinker!
There is so much great info in this forum, I seriously get 'stuck' reading through topics!
Post some pictures of your progress- I'd love to see what you do!