CameronD

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hello all Tortoise lovers!
I am in need of help and guidance.... Recently, I went to a local, reputable, reptile pet shop, to buy a baby (1 year old) Tortoise. As my sister did 3 years ago, and her little Russian Tort (Cinders) is ace. When I got there I was introduced to an adult male who had been in the shop over a year as a re-home and no-one had chosen him.
They believe he is about 7 y/o, fully grown, aggressive toward others but would flourish on his own.

This is the sort of sob story that I would fall for true or not, so I brought him home. But I had set-up expecting a much smaller tort.

I have a 40' tortoise table, a MVP 80W lamp placed 10' away from the top of his shell, temperature is measuring 32 degrees. I have set up a small home-made run outside which he seems to enjoy for about an hour a day (I just don't trust it's hot enough yet in the UK to be outside). And although I did buy a heat mat for the night times, I think I've seen a marked difference in his behaviour when I don't use it.
He hasn't been super hungry, a few nibbles of some greenery.

What am I doing right? What am I doing wrong?
I want to get him a bigger enclosure, but for now is he ok in there?
Please let me know.
Thanks so much!

Attachments

• 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200526163215334_COVER.jpg
    00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200526163215334_COVER.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13

CameronD

Location (City and/or State)
London
Also, Pellets or No-Pellets? As a supplement a couple of times a week , rather then everyday? I've seen some conflicting opinions, but they do seem a good source of calcium?