Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
Let's go Brandon!?????

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Rain? Man I haven't seen or heard of that since I was back in Georgia. No rain here at all. Not since winter of 2019.
Sorry Tom...I'm a native Californian...when I drive to visit my sister I see Lake Shasta is so low it scared me, every time it's lower and lower. The San Joaquin Valley when I was there a year ago was constantly irrigating...the Salinas area same thing. The Colorado river to the LA basin is really low because of low snow pack in the Rockies. When I first moved to Oregon 15 years ago I used to say..."people in Oregon don't tan they rust". It rained 7 months out of the year. Lumber was Oregon's #1 crop...trees...now, I have to water my outside plants...and who knew it rained in Alabama???? But they'll run my race today...
The people who don't believe in global warming just need to look at our animals, some species are gone, some going as their food sources are dying out...we need to do something NOW

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I don't get it....car guys, afraid of a little rain? Really? I used to road race motorcycles and if it rained, it meant our very brokeazz team of Sammy & I, had a chance against the money of the big boys. Not much can compare to the level of concentration and awareness one has when travelling 160-180 MPH on a motorcycle, in the rain....and yes, you are there to BEAT the guy next to you so no "being careful" here!

Sorry your race was cancelled....racer race but owners make rules to protect their investments while still trying to leave enough to chance to allow fandom. NFL does the same thing with QB hit rules.

I don't take sides Maggs so I'm not arguing "climate" at all and I like that you are fighting the good fight!

......the Earth has been doing it's Natural Climatic Change thing for 3 some billion years. So of course the climate has changed where I live in MD over 50-60 years.....they found preserved tropical ferns when excavating in Chicago....things change. They will always change. The areas around the pyramids in Egypt used to be rivers, facilitating the movement of large rocks to be hewn into stones. All desert now, well before the Industrial age. Fact is, more pollutants are released from volcanoes than man-influenced sources in the past 500 years. The one of Siberia, called The Traps that flowed for a million years instigated a Extinction event and is still caused "The Earths greatest killer". I've traveled a lot to Central and South America and Acapulco used to be tropical & lush 50 yrs ago....now it's largely desert.....things change.......

What we do here on the top 125 ft of dirt, isn't making too much of a difference to the planet I'm afraid, when viewed globally with global references other than stripping the life off of it with murders, wars, industrial pollution like Union Carbides fiasco in Bhopol India several years ago or the mercury poisoning in the Amazon this morning.

Motorcycle racers would have raced! I look back sometimes and still give a big "whew" for making it though all those high-risk activities! LOL

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I don't get it....car guys, afraid of a little rain? Really? I used to road race motorcycles and if it rained, it meant our very brokeazz team of Sammy & I, had a chance against the money of the big boys. Not much can compare to the level of concentration and awareness one has when travelling 160-180 MPH on a motorcycle, in the rain....and yes, you are there to BEAT the guy next to you so no "being careful" here!

Sorry your race was cancelled....racer race but owners make rules to protect their investments while still trying to leave enough to chance to allow fandom. NFL does the same thing with QB hit rules.

I don't take sides Maggs so I'm not arguing "climate" at all and I like that you are fighting the good fight!

......the Earth has been doing it's Natural Climatic Change thing for 3 some billion years. So of course the climate has changed where I live in MD over 50-60 years.....they found preserved tropical ferns when excavating in Chicago....things change. They will always change. The areas around the pyramids in Egypt used to be rivers, facilitating the movement of large rocks to be hewn into stones. All desert now, well before the Industrial age. Fact is, more pollutants are released from volcanoes than man-influenced sources in the past 500 years. The one of Siberia, called The Traps that flowed for a million years instigated a Extinction event and is still caused "The Earths greatest killer". I've traveled a lot to Central and South America and Acapulco used to be tropical & lush 50 yrs ago....now it's largely desert.....things change.......

What we do here on the top 125 ft of dirt, isn't making too much of a difference to the planet I'm afraid, when viewed globally with global references other than stripping the life off of it with murders, wars, industrial pollution like Union Carbides fiasco in Bhopol India several years ago or the mercury poisoning in the Amazon this morning.

Motorcycle racers would have raced! I look back sometimes and still give a big "whew" for making it though all those high-risk activities! LOL
I have many years of motorcycle riding and experience. I also have been auto street racing since the late 60's...when Mary Knobbins first came to me she was a he and very pyramided so I thought he looked like a dirt bike tire so I named him Knobby...however...one day when I wasn't looking he had some kind of a sex change and became a she...Knobby is not an appropriate for a lady...and I have a young friend who loves Knobby a bunch...and she named Knobby...Mary Knobbins...Mary's friend so young and yet so clever...
I complain about the rain in Oregon because I am kind of a fanatic and slightly obsessive about keeping a clean waxed and buffed out car, and the car is all engine and no traction. It's a damn squirrel in the rain. I'm mad about the rain in Alabama as Talladega is high speed resistor-plate racing...and my favorite...I do food and drink and yell at the tv all weekend...lolol100_0414.JPG100_5377.JPG

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I was bummed. The Wood Bros need a win this year, sooner or later.....

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
You rock like my Kerry...the only person to ever consistently ride my '82 Yammy Turbo modded to 22PSI, and never once engage the turbo! She also dropped it twice but I still love her.

Talladega....scary place for bikes when it opened....+200mph speeds. My own experience is anything above 185 or so is all courage, little skill where raising a fist instantly cuts 10 mph off your speed.

I did get into the box for my 1st NASCAR race @ Dover though a few years ago, 200,000 people, all enjoying the day of racing....very fun!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You rock like my Kerry...the only person to ever consistently ride my '82 Yammy Turbo modded to 22PSI, and never once engage the turbo! She also dropped it twice but I still love her.

Talladega....scary place for bikes when it opened....+200mph speeds. My own experience is anything above 185 or so is all courage, little skill where raising a fist instantly cuts 10 mph off your speed.

I did get into the box for my 1st NASCAR race @ Dover though a few years ago, 200,000 people, all enjoying the day of racing....very fun!
My husband and I went on a ride with a side car club many years ago. One of our stops on the ride was the race track up near Monterey (it was so long ago (I can't remember the name of it) and they allow our group to take a couple laps around the track. It was quite fun!!

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
My husband and I went on a ride with a side car club many years ago. One of our stops on the ride was the race track up near Monterey (it was so long ago (I can't remember the name of it) and they allow our group to take a couple laps around the track. It was quite fun!!
Sonoma

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Real sidecars? Like Hacks? Motorcycle sidecar? WOW!!! THAT had to be exhilarating! I have a friend in AU, Nev Lush and he still races sidecars...and he's old like me!

I raced Laguna Seca back in the old days when no one passed anyone in the chicannes......and most lounged on the hills around the track. My last memory was of watching an incredibly fast Kenny Roberts exiting a turn, fully leaned over with his front wheel in the air! I was not "in his race", I was racing against MY peers in the race....LOL

Actually the real last memory of LS was watching then helping one of the TD350 riders(Yamaha's watercooled race version of the RD350) load his gear and MOTORCYCLE into a VW bug with the passenger seat removed. He said he had ridden in from near Vegas.

They were flying at Texas over the weekend, hope you guys enjoyed...
jeff

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Motorcycles flying? What?
You mean 198 mph in a race car around a high speed track this week end at Texas???Bet NASCAR makes that a restrictor plate race soon. That track is as fast as Talladega...